ID question on 383 GTS

-

jim

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this could be a repeat question.
I acquired a 68 Dart GTS. The car has been thru alot of different owners. One owner tells me it is the original engine. What I have read is 68's were stamped with a order number not the VIN? The number is stamped on the top of the block where the transmission bolts up. I do have that number which is 8G239139.Above the starter there is another number .PT383P24480348
Casting date is 3-28-68.
Under the back seat I found a table spoon of the build sheet. Mice have ate the rest.
Does anyone want to take a stab at what I have?
Thanks
Jim

The VIN number will be on the bellhousing rail on the drivers side between the oil sending unit threads and the top starter bolt. If it matches your VIN then the "G" will actually be a "B". If it is indeed a "G" then it is not the original engine or it was mis-stamped...

I thought in 1968 the 6 digit (8G239139) of the # stamped on the motor bell & trans was actually the order # and not the vin #, and yes it should be a 8B not a 8G. This is a 340 I had at one time.

0095.JPG

Looks like G was St.Louis Mo. assembly plant, and I don't think any performance cars came from there.

It is, indeed, the VIN on the block and trans. The other stamped numbers in 1968 were the Shipping Order number. Those were on the fender tag, radiator support, and trunk lip.

The VIN is stamped (usually pretty poorly) on the top of the block in the rear on most 68 blocks

If it's a 727, the same number will be stamped at the top of the bell housing of transmission parallel to where it's stamped on the block - for 1968 model year. It will be a partial VIN number, most importantly, the last six digits should match the last six on your dash VIN and fender tag.

Blocks intended for 1969 model year, late 68 castings like September forward, it's stamped above the pan rail, the full VIN.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this could be a repeat question.
I acquired a 68 Dart GTS. The car has been thru alot of different owners. One owner tells me it is the original engine. What I have read is 68's were stamped with a order number not the VIN? The number is stamped on the top of the block where the transmission bolts up. I do have that number which is 8G239139.Above the starter there is another number .PT383P24480348
Casting date is 3-28-68.
Under the back seat I found a table spoon of the build sheet. Mice have ate the rest.
Does anyone want to take a stab at what I have?
Thanks
Jim

This same number (8G239139) should also be stamped on your radiator support and drivers side trunk rail.

It could be a B it's not easy read. So none of these numbers match VIN number or body number. Fender tag went away for fender tag. So its not original motor.
Thanks for the info

-
Back