Identify these Carter Carbs

-

72Ruster

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Could you guys help me figure out what model these Carter AFBs are?
I was trying to research but the numbers didn't seem to match what i was finding. Judging by how nice they are they appear to be NOS. Thanks in advance!

Codes on front foot are:
L9
K10
and
L8

IMG-1701.jpg

IMG-1700.jpg

IMG-1694.jpg

IMG-1684.jpg

You're givin us the "wrong" foot. You need to post pictures of the FRONT corner of the front passenger's side corner. That's where the "important" numbers are.

You're givin us the "wrong" foot. You need to post pictures of the FRONT corner of the front passenger's side corner. That's where the "important" numbers are.
They're both blank. No marks of any kind on the other feet for both carbs.

They both appear to have smaller primaries than secondaries, so they will be "somewhere" in the 600 CFM range.

They both appear to have smaller primaries than secondaries, so they will be "somewhere" in the 600 CFM range.
Awesome thank you for that. Any other way to tell a model number or anything? Here's the bottom of both:

IMG-1695.jpg

IMG-1687.jpg

None that I am aware of. I am sure there has to be a way. Maybe someone who really knows these better will chime in. I know if they have small primaries, they are in the 600 range. If all four are the same then they are the big block size....."somewhere" around 725-750. The factory Carters were sized differently than the aftermarket.

Didn't the older Carters have screw on tags only? Pictures of overall front / top might help

I got them at the same time as this intake but I don't know if they're directly related or purchased separately. Intake is dated 4/22/91

IMG-1673.jpg

The letters are the month of the year.
A B C D E F G H J K L M The letter I (eye) is not used.
The last number, say 6 7 8 9 0 is the year in the decade of production.
60's 70's 80's 90's
Sorta, kinda, gotta know the years the carbs were used in production, and manufactured.
Easy, peasy, once you know how to figure it all out.

The letters are the month of the year.
A B C D E F G H J K L M The letter I (eye) is not used.
The last number, say 6 7 8 9 0 is the year in the decade of production.
60's 70's 80's 90's
Sorta, kinda, gotta know the years the carbs were used in production, and manufactured.
Easy, peasy, once you know how to figure it all out.
Ok thanks. Any way to tell which decade? Maybe from the color of the top metal pieces or a different date code somewhere?

Ok thanks. Any way to tell which decade? Maybe from the color of the top metal pieces or a different date code somewhere?
At times it's just a guess, if the carbs were in production for a 10 or 20, year period, as to the actual year.

If you want to sell them, there would be nothing in the world wrong with advertising them "around" 600 CFM. That's REAL close.

Didn't AFBs of the time only have 9 mounting holes.

They look like they were modified to use with that manifold - choke only for the primary progressive carb. You might want to give them a try on the Offenhauser - they might be all tuned up for it. I don't think these are too far back in the 60s since they have the larger (standard) air horn.

They look like they were modified to use with that manifold - choke only for the primary progressive carb. You might want to give them a try on the Offenhauser - they might be all tuned up for it. I don't think these are too far back in the 60s since they have the larger (standard) air horn.
I don't think they were ever installed or run. I'm not sure about running dual carbs on my daily either. The cool factor is there for sure though

I don't think they were ever installed or run. I'm not sure about running dual carbs on my daily either. The cool factor is there for sure though

Run progressive linkage. That way, they are like one two barrel until you really stab it. Don't be a damn snowflake. lol

I would say they are 400s from the 80s from what I can tell and remember. The carb with the choke will be on the rear as the front barrels are more centered on the intake. Kim

I would say they are 400s from the 80s from what I can tell and remember. The carb with the choke will be on the rear as the front barrels are more centered on the intake. Kim

Wow. You think they're that small? Might be a good match for that intake then.

Yes I do think they are 400s. Look how small the primaries are. I believe 400 were the smallest, then the 500s then the 625s all different front sizes. Kim

-
Back