Identify year of Radiator?

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
do these numbers on the top of the radiator tell anything regarding the year the radiator was built? Numbers are 38086

There should be another set of numbers 7-8 digits on the top of the tank

This is what I have on top.

7D9551B9-160A-46B4-A1E5-E639D4DD80FA.jpeg

867006C8-7F6B-4E9B-9609-CA2A60CFBA0F.jpeg

015073C3-A100-4BBD-B58D-E08B50745C00.jpeg

Do you have more pictures of the radiator with the lower hose connection?

The little bit I researched, the number you show is a partial number that matches up to a 69 340 a body radiator... yours doesn’t have a number in the blank part, were these two have a part number above them, but the lower number is the same as yours. The other tag soldered on just shows that it had work done or it was re-cored.... The tanks look factory Chrysler.

B35E1BBC-E4CC-4841-A3E5-66EA0F0A7C46.jpeg

6F61C8E0-8D64-4D06-A8EE-C7C799953F7F.jpeg

The one picture where it shows the numbers that you posted, looks like the original part numbers could have possibly been sanded down or off? Maybe a closer up picture of this area and some better overall pictures of the entire radiator showing the whole thing would be best.

There's a slight difference in '67 to '68 and 9 smallblock v-8 radiators which affects the fan shroud used. That's the only physical difference I'm aware of in terms of fit and function.

The five digit code is the vendor number for the vendor that supplied the radiator to Chrysler.

Some had the numbers stamped & some would work for more than one application, so part numbers could be soldered on.

Yours is missing the soldered on part number tag.

Some radiators have date codes stamped into one of the steel side rails.

The five digit code is the vendor number for the vendor that supplied the radiator to Chrysler.

Some had the numbers stamped & some would work for more than one application, so part numbers could be soldered on.

Yours is missing the soldered on part number tag.

Some radiators have date codes stamped into one of the steel side rails.
Here are more pics. Including the upside down “flap tag” on the finned area. Is that the soldered tag you’re referring to?

E3CFA5FF-C397-4466-A6E4-2563458B1686.jpeg

Is that the soldered tag you’re referring to?

Nope.

On your radiator, (your original photo here modified) your soldered on part number tag would have been in this recess outlined in red.

It likely came off when heated for a repair.

soldered on tag copy.jpg

Is there something on the tank flat where I circled in yellow?

As far as what its for, I don't know. An LA (small block) would have inlet and outlet where the orange arrows are.
upload_2019-3-3_17-47-31.png

For '68 I'm prety sure the overflow hose goes to the right, at least on A-bodies.

Revive an old post? (I've been silent awhile, been building a garage 28'x24) :)
Hi everyone. So I was doing a little research on the web and as often I was directed right back to FABO.
My car is in complete pieces right now but I was thinking about the rad.
I will be building my car with a/c and a 340.
So my rad is 22" wide I read somewhere that the Max Cool rads were 26" wide. If this is correct was the radiator support wider in a bodies with Max cool because some of the cooling lines in a 26" wide radiator would be behind the rad support, unless it was opened wider?
Anyway the radiator I pulled out of my 68 originally a 318 car has the same numbers on the top of the radiator as OG Troub (see pics)
The radiator inlet and outlet are both on the driver side.
Was the OG or anyone able to find out what his came out of? 66340sedan suggested it may have come out of a 340 car?
Has anyone re-cored a 22" radiator and used it with an a/c car?
If possible I'd like to re-core this one, maybe 2 fatter lines seems like a lot of people do the bigger lines nowadays. Run a 7 fin thermo fan with a shroud and a 195 degree thermostat, on an a/c 340 barracuda?

Anyway here are the pictures that I took this morning.

Front Rad.jpg

Rad length.jpg

Rad Top.jpg

rad tag.jpg

Rad Numbers.jpg

Usually an a/c rad had 3 rows instead of 2 rows. Yes a 26 inch radiator core has a wider opening. Looks like an aftermarket rad to me. Kim

Usually an a/c rad had 3 rows instead of 2 rows. Yes a 26 inch radiator core has a wider opening. Looks like an aftermarket rad to me. Kim
I think its an original Chrysler radiator that has been re-cored. (it has the pentastar on it).
Thanks I did not realize that the opening was wider on the a/c cars. Makes sense though. I'm not cutting mine hopefully I can make the 22" hole work well enough to cool a n a/c car.
I'll contact a local re-core place and see what they think about making it cool better.

So my rad is 22" wide I read somewhere that the Max Cool rads were 26" wide. If this is correct was the radiator support wider in a bodies with Max cool because some of the cooling lines in a 26" wide radiator would be behind the rad support, unless it was opened wider?
It's not correct for '67 through '69.
1680377168485.png

1680377299858.png

(Nor is it easy to convert to a 26" wide radiator. Go ask @Rob_Mopar if you want the long version. )

Here's what Chrysler did for A/C cars in '68.
Its needs the full package. The pulley diameters, the water pump impeller are just as important as the fan and fan shroud.
1680376211102.png

Last edited:
It's not correct for '67 through '69.
View attachment 1716071638

View attachment 1716071642
(Nor is it easy to convert to a 26" wide radiator. Go ask @Rob_Mopar you want the long version. )

Here's what Chrysler did for A/C cars in '68.
Its needs the full package. The pulley diameters, the water pump impeller are just as important as the fan and fan shroud.
View attachment 1716071626
True. it looks like there is a lot involved but is doable.
I will be ordering my A/C through Classic Auto Air
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Air Conditioning Kit | 68 Plymouth Barracuda AC

They list, complete system for non-factory air with option, with the compressor and bracket option which includes add on crank pulley ($300).
Seems like they hopefully thought of everything except the water pump. It even comes with a shallow glove box liner to clear new heater/air box under the dash.
As I dive deeper into this it looks as though I will need an old style timing cover also. I have one off of a 1965 273. maybe I will see if the re-core shop can move the lower hose to the passenger side.

-
Back