Identifying a crate motor

-

rumrunner

Reaction score
Hi all new to this anyway trying to identify what makes a crate motor identifiable what they use serial numbers on the block or vin numbers. Looking to purchase a motor and the gentleman says that it's a crate motor no paperwork no crate so I'm just trying to figure out how this becomes a crate motor as opposed to a truck motor or car motor it is new.

Hi all new to this anyway trying to identify what makes a crate motor identifiable what they use serial numbers on the block or vin numbers. Looking to purchase a motor and the gentleman says that it's a crate motor no paperwork no crate so I'm just trying to figure out how this becomes a crate motor as opposed to a truck motor or car motor it is new.
All crate motors come with build specs, and paper work including a cam spec sheet and usually a dyno report. I don't see why anybody who buys a crate motor would get rid of that documentation. So, might be a red flag.
Ask him which company he bought it from. Try to get a serial number from the block and call that company. They probably have a privacy policy, but just explain you are only trying to confirm whether or not it came from them. It's worth your time to do your due diligence, could save you from a disaster. Heck, if it's a recent motor, it may still be under warranty!

All crate motors come with build specs, and paper work including a cam spec sheet and usually a dyno report. I don't see why anybody who buys a crate motor would get rid of that documentation. So, might be a red flag.
Ask him which company he bought it from. Try to get a serial number from the block and call that company. They probably have a privacy policy, but just explain you are only trying to confirm whether or not it came from them. It's worth your time to do your due diligence, could save you from a disaster. Heck, if it's a recent motor, it may still be under warranty!

Supposedly on this crate motor the motor has been sitting for approximately little over three and a half years the gentlmen that bought it ,his intentions to put the 5.7 Hemi into a b body time pasted on and now everything's for sale but he never knew to get paperwork or documentation on the motor I was hoping to find out if there's other way of identifying other than compression testing taking it all apart. thank you for the response I will look into the serial number.

If it's a factory Mopar "Crate Motor" it should have a part number and VIN/Engine Serial Number sticker on the valve cover.
IMG_20180718_152427012.jpg

This is what i found on the side of block 4NX5.7LTk091411479 any feed back. Thanks

-
Back