IDing My K6 Block

-

Killer6

Reaction score
When I bought My '69 Custom HT, it had been (poorly) repainted Green Imron over the White, and the engine compartment Black. The Slanty was red, should've been the one-year-only Turquoise, & the wheels had been upped to 14" with a couple of the 13" in the trunk.
This was the Summer of '83, I pulled the Slanty in '85 & the car ended up a cammed 318/4spd/8.75 car. The Slanty became the one I built for My "K6" '72 Swinger. Before I had the block out to be bored & decked, I wrote down the stampings, & actually found them 37yrs later!!! Lol. So the VIN's were to be stamped for the '68 models on the block pad at the rear, on the pass.side just below/adjacent to the deck, I have the pad & no #'s.
So...this is @slantsixdan .....
As I wrote them;
PT 225R 24110174
Casting #'s to the right of block # are;
AAWJ

Is this a Jan. 15th '68 casting, or a Nov. 5th '68?
2411 on the 10,000 day calender is Monday March 4th '68.
20230321_183342.jpg

20230321_171651.jpg

My gut says cast & built early '68 for a '68 model, I'm not sure if all 2806830 castings had the VIN pad, but it is a -1 so My guess is yes. Whatcha think Dan?

Last edited:
PT 225R = 225 regular-fuel engine built at Trenton Engine Plant

2411 = engine built on 4 March 1968, so it was built for a 1968-model vehicle (which also explains the red paint, if it was original).

Why would it be "built in 68 for a '67 model"? Makes no sense

Hey, no keyboard, "smart" phone with shitty touch screen...I have to go back & edit My posts all the time......texts I'm always " follow-up" texting the words I miss-spell fat fingering.....not funny to Me...well sometimes....carry on laughing now.... :D

PT 225R = 225 regular-fuel engine built at Trenton Engine Plant

2411 = engine built on 4 March 1968, so it was built for a 1968-model vehicle (which also explains the red paint, if it was original).
Thanks Dan, that's what I figured, any idea why no VIN?
Jim

I don't recall what the start date was for a (partial) VIN being stamped on a vehicle's original engine, but my guess is this engine went in a car built before that date.

That's the detail I'm curious about, if it was mandated for MY'68 that's already mid-production, so they implemented it at a random point during the year. I'll do some more searching, thx again.

This sounds most plausible, see notes at bottom of page, ....

My understanding of the time frame issue is that Chrysler initially complied with Title 49 only on HP engines. A friend's '68 Hemi Road Runner had an SPD of October 24th '67 (Inland shifter car) and had the partial VIN on both the transmission and the top of the engine's bellhousing flange facing up. Another friend's '68 Charger, built January of '68 at the same plant (Lynch) has no VIN stampings on its 318 or A904.

Now I need to check my '68 Hamtramck-built Valiant to see what, if anything, is there. Unfortunately, based on current weather patterns, that won't happen until sometime in July.

I was considering starting a thread to find the earliest known A-body VIN-stamped block, & earliest overall C-P-D one(s), it would turn into a high-maintenance one tho'.
The wording in that link above of "request" & "voluntary" by the Feds kind of answers My query, and the notation that Mopar didn't really "hit it" 'til mid-'68 would explain it as well.

I think partial vin on block and trans requirements started for 69... Idk when the law was signed, but on something like that they almost always put the effective date somewhere in the future to give manufacturer time to get set up for it ...
Just like obd-2 was mandatory starting in 96// but some vehicles came set up for it in mid to late 94 already.......

I think partial vin on block and trans requirements started for 69... Idk when the law was signed, but on something like that they almost always put the effective date somewhere in the future to give manufacturer time to get set up for it ...
Just like obd-2 was mandatory starting in 96// but some vehicles came set up for it in mid to late 94 already.......
The link in post#11 has notes & a link to the actual gov docs as well as other sites, & it seems that they all started with the "Hi-Level/Option" cars a bit early, then got around to complying with the run of the mill fleet.
I know the GM Cavalier/Sunfire cars had the setup for OBDII when that body made it's debut, but wasn't actually OBDII.

-
Back