Idiots at American Tire

-

Bud27

Reaction score
Long story Short , Daughter got a flat on freeway . I got it home and found out she missed school to go to local Aquarium in Long beach . I was pissed college first fish last { unless its her barracuda LOL}
She goes American Tire and cant remove the spare tire I installed by hand with tire iron . DD calls me and says the guys said the spare was to tight they cant get it off . i told her there reverse threads on drivers side they should know this .
I drive over and they broke a Stud off the front Drum . Can this be fixed can you just press out the stud ? I was told it was crimped or welded any help is appreciated

Last edited:
No, they are swedged to the drum. In other words, the drum is placed over the studs and then a machine presses the drum area around each stud, distorting it so the drum pretty much becomes part of the hub.

I have used a 5/8"metal cutting hole saw with good success to cut the swedge away from the stud. Even still, it is best to center punch the broken stud so it will collapse when you drive it out. This way, you will not hurt the hub. If you don't drill a hole in the stud so it will collapse, you will ruin the hub and a new stud will not press in.

Demand repayment for your damages.
It's stamped on the end of the stud!
A great big "L".
What do they need, a video to tell them to pay attention?
Grrrrrr.

No, they are swedged to the drum. In other words, the drum is placed over the studs and then a machine presses the drum area around each stud, distorting it so the drum pretty much becomes part of the hub.

I have used a 5/8"metal cutting hole saw with good success to cut the swedge away from the stud. Even still, it is best to center punch the broken stud so it will collapse when you drive it out. This way, you will not hurt the hub. If you don't drill a hole in the stud so it will collapse, you will ruin the hub and a new stud will not press in.

Probably need a fabricator . im not that skilled
Demand repayment for your damages.
It's stamped on the end of the stud!
A great big "L".
What do they need, a video to tell them to pay attention?
Grrrrrr.
HELL yeah their paying . They tried to add labor for their attempt to replace it . I got on his butt and they agreed to reimburse me for the repair .

Probably need a fabricator . im not that skilled

HELL yeah their paying . They tried to add labor for their attempt to replace it . I got on his butt and they agreed to reimburse me for the repair .

Then you need to get them to pay for an entire hub and drum assembly. I am sure someone here has a good one. You won't find the hub new, so I would look for a used whole drum and hub with good studs.

They probably didn't even see the L and if they did they probably made jokes about it while it was getting snapped off.
L doesn't mean "Left handed" to younger people.

got some off a 70 dart , 9'' drums with hubs and spindles as well . maybe to render this problem for the future , put right hand threaded lug studs on the left side . that was only used to keep the lug nut from backing off under braking . but it has never happened so the automotive markers stopped doing the left handed threads .

I heard Chrysler had to this for NASCAR,
as they had to frequently hit the brakes, finding their groove to pass blocked by some "other manufacturer's" cars, dawdling along.

well don't know about nascar mandating that . but this left hand driver side thing has been in use since before nascar came on the seen . chrysler started after they stopped using bolts and wheel alinement pins , even olds did use lefties until @ 1970 .

Best to always fully describe your car, like year and type of brakes. You mention drums, but 9" or 10"?
If they haven't yet buggered up the hub, they should cut the stud off below the swedge, then press it out. Could even do that w/ a hacksaw and a hammer, w/ socket backing up the hub.

Idiots at Goodyear once did better on my 69 Dart. They spun a stud in the hub, apparently not understanding "L" and kept jacking up the impact wrench. Didn't tell me and installed the new tire that way. I found out when I couldn't remove the tire on the interstate w/ the stud spinning. Had to drive home w/ the de-laminated tread slapping the inner fender, then hacksaw off the stud. I remove wheels myself and take them to a shop, so they can't f'up my cars. A Pep Boys once put a long scratch down my new paint in replacing a tire, then swore they had no tool in their shop that could cause that. I have boycotted Pep Boys for life since, and will dance for joy when they go bankrupt.

Um, they've been using left hand threads before they went to studs. My '50 and '51 Plymouth both have left hand bolts, and I'm pretty sure my friends '40 Dodge coupe does too.

bolts to ? i haven't checked my old stuff yet . but left and right hand thread bolts too , have a plymouth mid thirties tube front end here at my shop , its bolts .

Well both of my 66 mopar had reverse studs on one side even my 41 Ihc panel has them but most shops or people have never seen it. I know it sucks but truly I felt like a dumbass when i first went to change them on my IHC and realized they were reverse.

Um, they've been using left hand threads before they went to studs. ...
For sure, and hardly a Chrysler thing. Tire Rack and others have lists of studs and bolt patterns. I recall many manufacturers had LH threads on the driver's side in the 1960's, including Japanese cars. At some point, most decided the advantage of not loosening under use was out-weighed by avoiding confusion for owners and shops, so switched to all RH threads. You still find LH threads on road bicycle left pedal to crank arm interface (1/2"-20 tpi LH). Male bicyclists don't like the pedal unscrewing, dropping their gonads onto the cross-bar.

Goodson tools, has the swedge cutting tool.
ST-437 for 7/16 inch stud
ST-500 for 1/2 inch stud
ST-562 for 9/16 inch stud
I have the 7/16 and 1/2 tools.
www.goodson.com/

I always heard they found that L handed were never found to be of any use or advantage whatsoever so they quit doing it for less confusion during tire and wheel changing.

I always tell them that the left hand side of the car has left-hand (reverse) threads.....

I also usually have to tell them about the push-button tranny.......

I always tell them that the left hand side of the car has left-hand (reverse) ....
Me too, plus have them write it on the service sheet. But, hasn't been sufficient, especially at the large places that say, "no customers allowed in shop to watch". Goodyear in Atlanta still spun my stud, then hid it from me, leaving a future problem. Since moving to CA, I always use America's Tire (Discount Tire). They don't mind customers watching and are always very professional, at least the shops at Arden Way (Sacramento) and Fullerton (O.C.) I have visited.

Me too, plus have them write it on the service sheet. But, hasn't been sufficient, especially at the large places that say, "no customers allowed in shop to watch". Goodyear in Atlanta still spun my stud, then hid it from me, leaving a future problem. Since moving to CA, I always use America's Tire (Discount Tire). They don't mind customers watching and are always very professional, at least the shops at Arden Way (Sacramento) and Fullerton (O.C.) I have visited.

Bill, I have to find another tire shop because more than half the time I get my tires balanced they mess it up and I have to take it back and get it fixed.
A TIRE shop, that can't even get the balance right.
What is the world coming to? :D
BTW, those are the ONLY people allowed to touch ANYTHING on my car, and even that they can't seem to get right.
I can change tires myself anyway, so I am seriously considering finding a static balancer and just do that myself as well.

They may not have seen the "L" on a Barracuda with the wheel covers as the nuts are not open. I had to yell "Lefties!" when I heard them hammering it with a impact. They guy looked at me like I was crazy until I told him they were left hand threads..."reverse your ratchet and they will come off!" Duh.....IIRC my 71 Honda car had them because somehow I twisted a stud off.

-
Back