Idler arm help

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
I had to remove my pitman arm and idler arm in order to drop my oil pan because of a leak. Got the pan re installed but having issues with the idler arm. When I took it apart there was two pieces of foam on each end of the idler arm and two steel washers. The issues I'm having is I can get the top washer in and no way in hell can I get the bottom washer in if that's where it goes between the bracket. I don't remember if both washers go between the bracket does anyone have a illustration on how it goes back together ? My service manual does not show where to put the washers. The car is a 68 Dart GTS 340 w/power steering.

I just saw your post, so I don't know if you've gotten your question answered some other way by now. Here are some photos that might be of some help. One is from my 68 Dart before I disassembled...Problem is that it was 18 years ago, and I don't remember exactly what was in there. But, looking at the photo I don't see a space for a steel washer anywhere. I know there were felt washers on the inside of the bracket (top and bottom) that were just to keep trash out. I cut circular pieces of leather and punched them to replace those felts. The other photo is from my Shop Manual. It is not very detailed, as it doesn't show a washer in the stack-up of parts. If you look real close, it does look like there is a component in the stack-up just under the upper bracket ear that could be a felt washer????

By the way, I'm having much the same issue with assembling my steering linkage. I'm using all '73 Duster parts, so it's a little different. But, I also have a question about where to put a steel washer that I had labeled for this application. No way it's going to fit inside between the bracket ears.
68 Dart Shop Manual, Steering.jpg
Idler Arm, 68 Dart.jpg

Please let me know how you resolved this, because I will likely follow whatever you figured out.

I have a service manual but it really doesn't show how it goes together. I did figure it out though. Both washers do go between the bracket. There was no way in hell I could get the bottom washer in so I checked the thickness of the original washer and went and bought a grade 8 washer 20 thou thinner and she went right together. I did bend the bottom part of the bracket down a little until I got it assembled then tapped it back up. Since I had to drop the steering suspension I went ahead and replaced my tie rod ends dust boots as they saw better days and they actually were the original boots.

-
Back