If you’ve installed Goodmark Quarter Skins please read…

-

7T Swinger

Reaction score
Gents,

I’m planning on ordering Goodmark quarter panel skins tomorrow for my ‘67 Barracuda Fastback. If you’ve installed these, how did it go? Okay? Nightmare? Please tell all.

Thanks,
Graham

6F26C0B9-4D80-4E09-9E4B-52DC9D334A6B.png

B5C1342D-35B2-4AC3-A430-8F2969FE68AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Just replace what you need, cut as little of the original quarter as possible. Cut the same sections from the panel as well, don't try to replace the whole quarter.

I have these as well. Have not started on the replacing my originals yet as I have other irons in the fire right now, however most people doing these using most of the skin, are leaving about 1-2 inches of original quarter skin at the front door jamb edge, rear taillight edge, and about 1 inch at the top, and butt welding the 2 skins together.

I do know this, the hole stamping for the gas cap is off, and will require weld filling, rework and drilling new holes to center it. Also the wheel opening is stamped a little smaller radius letting this panel slide right over the top of an original panel. This means there will be one hell of a gap between the wheel opening flange of the new panel and the outer wheel house flange. Personally, I know I can make these fit, but i have a decent amount of metal working experience.

Skins dont have the welded flang area. If you need that then you're better off getting full quarters

I don’t want to spend AMD money as my car is a bit of a roach. I’m going to try the Goodmark ones. Thanks
Then you will get Goodmark quality which usually isn't all that good.

I have done them. They are not perfect but they are better than rust holes. I started off by marking my old quarters and cutting them off with extra left in place. I kept the original top body lines and went from there. I then trimmed the Goodmarks wheel lips to be closer to original size with 1" painters tape. They are quite a bit bigger. Then I started at the bottom clamping it in place making sure to get it tight to the existing one and screwed it in place. Then cut through both and tack welded a little at a time. Is it the right way? Not sure as I had never done it before but it did turn out well. Somewhere I have pics with the quarters off I will upload if I can find them
IMG_7139.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG
IMG_7141.JPG
IMG_7143.JPG

Nice to know about goodmarks being designed to overlay an original panel.

That was real popular up until the 1990's.

Yuck.

If you enjoy bodywork and enjoy spending hours of work to make them fit, use the goodmarks.

I'm not an experienced bodyman, so I'd rather spend hours at stuff I'm good at, and pay a little more for panels that fit, and will look good .

I put goodmark skins on my Duster, they work fine, I did cut them down.
Use a flange tool to float them in, no big deal.
No more work than using a AMD panel, its just sheet-metal.
JmNCjP.jpg

look them up on YT. Check out My Friend Pete at SWRNC. I think he has a ***** video about them...

I have done them. They are not perfect but they are better than rust holes. I started off by marking my old quarters and cutting them off with extra left in place. I kept the original top body lines and went from there. I then trimmed the Goodmarks wheel lips to be closer to original size with 1" painters tape. They are quite a bit bigger. Then I started at the bottom clamping it in place making sure to get it tight to the existing one and screwed it in place. Then cut through both and tack welded a little at a time. Is it the right way? Not sure as I had never done it before but it did turn out well. Somewhere I have pics with the quarters off I will upload if I can find them
View attachment 1715797994 View attachment 1715797995 View attachment 1715797996 View attachment 1715797997
hey toplscuda Got any pix of how you made the wheel opening work?

Last edited:
I plan on using my panel flanger to install these when the time comes. On a notchback coupe, if i had $500 each AMD quarters , I'd still have to take the fastback panels and lop the tops off anyways for a non stock seam to install on a notchback. This means I'd still have hours and hours of bodywork to do anyways. About the only saving I'd be getting out of AMDs would be the stock seam everywhere else. The goodmark panels will be just fine on my car. Just flange em in and weld.

Last edited:
I put AMDs on my car back in 06...they werent cheap back then either...:)
I have 4 AMD E-body full 1/4 panels sitting in my garage for various projects, bought them all the same time on black Friday sale they had, that was an expensive bill.

My son's Dart has Goodmark skins on it. They looked good until they caved from barely touching them. They'll never be really straight again as they are too thin. He's got a brand new set of AMDs in the rafters just in case he ever does the car again...I wouldn't buy them again. Too much work to replace them and end up having an inferior product. OH, and he got the AMDs at the clearance...

-
Back