If you need new A body parts, buy them NOW - the Corona Virus

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
if all you guys trying to restore A-bodies out there hadn't noticed, 90% of all reproduction parts are made in China! yes, there are some decent looking parts made there, but a lot of stuff is not that good and doesn't fit well. but here's something i just discovered - resto parts people are running out of parts or discontinuing them.

go to American Metal Direct and look at the parts they are discontinuing. the biggest portion are mopar parts - especially A-body parts. AMD is no longer going to sell replacement quarter panels for 67-69 Barracudas. they are discontinuing a bunch of other A-body parts. i looked at mopar parts on the websites of Summit, Jegs, Year One and AMD. i am sad to report, our beloved A-body parts are drying up.

so if you are restoring an A-body mopar, NOW is the time to try and get parts if you need them. i imagine that AMD has dropped Barracuda quarter panels because they didn't sell enough of them. when i had my 69 M-Code Cuda down at AMD's resto shop in Georgia, the shop manager had to wait for a "new run" of quarters before he could fix my car. when AMD buys body parts, apparently they have to buy like 500 at a time or the factory won't make them.

the Corona Virus has blown up China's manufacturing structure and since most of our car parts are now made there, these parts are going to be hard to get or may no longer be available at all when all this "virus" stuff gets sorted out.

so like i suggested, buy your parts now - if you still can.

Just like everything else made in China will be in short supply

I guess that means that local (CONUS) original body parts will become more valuable????????????????????????

Don't make this thread get sidetracked with political comments or it will go away.

Perfect opportunity for these parts manufacturers to start making their stuff in the good old US of A!! The prices for the change in location to America won't be any higher than what you'll have to pay the hoarders of these AMD Chinese/India ad nauseum muscle car parts from here on out. It's what's been done to prescriptions as well. Maybe Dynacorn would be interested. Ibuprofen is made in China. Us old guys need that to be made here. F##k the sky is falling attitude. Also we used to be a country of doers, not whiners. Rant subsides!!

Currently 1 in 1 million people globally have the corona virus.

I wouldn't get too worked up.

Currently 1 in 1 million people globally have the corona virus.

I wouldn't get too worked up.
Actually ......many more people have the virus than we know. The Corona virus effects everyone differently, some simply get mild cold symptoms and walk around infecting many, many others without knowing. Some people get slightly more severe cold/flu symptoms and still walk around infecting others. Then there are those who get extremely sick and even die. So even though 1 in 1 million might have the virus there are millions and millions more that are "carriers" who are spreading the virus as we speak!! We don't know who those "carriers" are or how many are out there????

Further proving the point that you shouldn't be getting all worked up over it.

If many more people carry it than have been confirmed, with no symptoms or minimal symptoms, and the death rate is still VERY low.....

Further proving the point that you shouldn't be getting all worked up over it.

If many more people carry it than have been confirmed, with no symptoms or minimal symptoms, and the death rate is still VERY low.....
You are correct except for the fact that the virus is not "contained" because of all the carriers!!! The virus will continue to be spread by the "carriers" . No reason "to get all worked up" but everyone has to realize that as it spreads (which it will) more people will die simply because of the math. The experts say that 1 infected person typically infects 3 other people, sometimes more.
3 people infect 9, 9 infect 27, 27 infect 81, 81 infect 243, 243 infect 729, 729 infect 2187, 2187 infect 6561, 6561 infect 19,683, 19,683 infect 59,049, 59,049 infect 177,147, 177,147 infect 531,441, 531,441 infect 1,594,323. All this happens in a few weeks........Math is a *****!!!

From a USC virologist who has been investigating coronavirus (SARS, MERS) since 1970s....
"This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth." stop touching your face, wash your hands with >60% alcohol sanitizer (eg. Purell) and the mask does more to prevent you from touching your face than it does preventing you from catching it.

From a USC virologist who has been investigating coronavirus (SARS, MERS) since 1970s....
"This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth." stop touching your face, wash your hands with >60% alcohol sanitizer (eg. Purell) and the mask does more to prevent you from touching your face than it does preventing you from catching it.
So if you order something that get's shipped from China, by the time it get's here the virus will probably be dead. Thank God for slow shipping! :rofl:

You are correct except for the fact that the virus is not "contained" because of all the carriers!!! The virus will continue to be spread by the "carriers" . No reason "to get all worked up" but everyone has to realize that as it spreads (which it will) more people will die simply because of the math. The experts say that 1 infected person typically infects 3 other people, sometimes more.
3 people infect 9, 9 infect 27, 27 infect 81, 81 infect 243, 243 infect 729, 729 infect 2187, 2187 infect 6561, 6561 infect 19,683, 19,683 infect 59,049, 59,049 infect 177,147, 177,147 infect 531,441, 531,441 infect 1,594,323. All this happens in a few weeks........Math is a *****!!!

"No reason to get all worked up" is exactly what they said in China when all this became public, and a few weeks later it is basically world wide.

So now this site will digress to "for anti-bodies only" ,get rid of the politics and bring in the......PHD's. (Piled Higher and Deeper):popcorn:

So now this site will digress to "for anti-bodies only" ,get rid of the politics and bring in the......PHD's. (Piled Higher and Deeper):popcorn:
No, this site is a car website and the owner allows political discussions but not in the general forums. If you want to talk politics, check into the News and Politics forum and comment away.

Restoring old Mopars has always been hard... it just gets harder!!!

It is better to pay $1000 for a GOOD quarter than to pay $500 for a chitty one and then pay a body man $2000 to fix that bad quarter!!!???? lol

if all you guys trying to restore A-bodies out there hadn't noticed, 90% of all reproduction parts are made in China! yes, there are some decent looking parts made there, but a lot of stuff is not that good and doesn't fit well. but here's something i just discovered - resto parts people are running out of parts or discontinuing them.

go to American Metal Direct and look at the parts they are discontinuing. the biggest portion are mopar parts - especially A-body parts. AMD is no longer going to sell replacement quarter panels for 67-69 Barracudas. they are discontinuing a bunch of other A-body parts. i looked at mopar parts on the websites of Summit, Jegs, Year One and AMD. i am sad to report, our beloved A-body parts are drying up.

so if you are restoring an A-body mopar, NOW is the time to try and get parts if you need them. i imagine that AMD has dropped Barracuda quarter panels because they didn't sell enough of them. when i had my 69 M-Code Cuda down at AMD's resto shop in Georgia, the shop manager had to wait for a "new run" of quarters before he could fix my car. when AMD buys body parts, apparently they have to buy like 500 at a time or the factory won't make them.

the Corona Virus has blown up China's manufacturing structure and since most of our car parts are now made there, these parts are going to be hard to get or may no longer be available at all when all this "virus" stuff gets sorted out.

so like i suggested, buy your parts now - if you still can.
panic buying much? For the record, AMD has had that discontinued list on there since about October.

outbreak.jpg

-
Back