Ignition Control Module melting!

-

Dodge73Dart

1973 Dodge Dart Sport restoration
Reaction score
I have an Ignition Control Module that has been setting on the shelf in my garage. I went to move it and it was stuck to the shelf. There was an epoxy like residue that looked like it had ran out of the module onto the shelf. I saw this once before on a mounted part where the stuff had ran down the fender.
Any enlightenment here? I certainly don't want this happening on my restoration.
Thanks

You should see the one in my '79 Box Truck, can't believe the thing still works !

I don't know what a "restoration" is for you.
If you have an original box and want to use that it can be repotted.
The replacement 4 pin boxes at the auto parts stores are all junk.
There's a thread where someone is putting an HEI in one and the transistor is fake.
I gave up and spent the money for the FBO box.
I wanted the quick change feature.
Works great.

chevy style HEI on 318

I don't know what a "restoration" is for you.
If you have an original box and want to use that it can be repotted.
The replacement 4 pin boxes at the auto parts stores are all junk.
There's a thread where someone is putting an HEI in one and the transistor is fake.
I gave up and spent the money for the FBO box.
I wanted the quick change feature.
Works great.

chevy style HEI on 318
Got some more info on the FBO box? Thanks

Yep, they can be a gooey, sticky mess. It was suggested that a poor mix of resin might have been the reason. (Lol, I was betting it was "climate change":D)
Here's an old stocker I had in a box on a shelf for at least 15 years along with second ECU that hasn't leached out at all.
Wasn't looking like this when it was boxed up ..………
upload_2018-5-25_8-5-44.png
upload_2018-5-25_8-8-39.png

Yep, they can be a gooey, sticky mess. It was suggested that a poor mix of resin might have been the reason. (Lol, I was betting it was "climate change":D)
Here's an old stocker I had in a box on a shelf for at least 15 years along with second ECU that hasn't leached out at all.
Wasn't looking like this when it was boxed up ..………
View attachment 1715179644View attachment 1715179645
Yeah and that stuff sticks like crazy!

OK- this is going back a ways. The old mechanical regulators- we used to repair them. There is a fusible wire inside that can blow. Clean points, adjust output. When the "new" transistorized ones appeared we were all pissed off because we could no longer repair them- they were sealed. We became parts replacers.

I tried opening up a failed outboard power pack on my 90 HP Chrysler. They ran about $300 a pop back then. It was filled in with black plastic crap or Bakelite maybe?
Never did see what was in it.
upload_2018-5-25_14-9-8.png

-
Back