Ignition Issues on 74 Dart Sport

-

SpriceyStuff

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m having a lot of issues with my Dart. I’m like 12 weeks into my weekend project now. I had pulled the engine to do a bearing swap and put it back in. It ran prior to pulling the engine. After I dropped it back in, it would only run while the starter was engaged. After disengaging the starter it would die. I believe this is due to the fact that the ignition switch had come apart with age. After some fiddling around, it now no longer fires. I’ve checked my wiring according to my schematics, to no avail. Everything appears to check out. All I know as of now is that the field is not being interrupted and the coil is not firing. Any advice, ideas, or possibly some life saving personal experience to share?

Ballast resistor.
I wondered about that too so I used my brothers (he has a running 74 Duster) and it changed nothing

edit: of course, it is possible that messing with his ballast resistor screwed it up. In my experience they tend to be pretty delicate, especially when they’re old

OK first step make sure the ballast resistor is getting power in start and run position, should be 12v into it.

I believe this is due to the fact that the ignition switch had come apart with age. After some fiddling around, it now no longer fires.
Check the continuity in the ignition switch. J1 is power in. There should be continuity to both the starter relay and the ignition 2 wire when key is in start.
Or if its all assembled, have someone turn the key and check for voltage at the matching terminals on the ballast resistor and starter relay with key in Start, then run.
'74 had the seatbelt interlock os the start relay wiring is a bit messier. There is/was a bypass switch if you haven't eliminted or modified it.

Pretty simple. Get a shop manual. Check voltage at the ignition switch connector. If there, move out into the engine bay and check for voltage at the proper terminals of the bulkhead connector and or ballast resistor.

Also check over the big white engine harness to engine connector, a big white colored rectangular connector. A known troublemaker. Consider cutting it out and eliminating it

If you want to mail me a USB stick with a return mailer, I will send you a free copy of the complete 74 manual

Standby....................

ignSwitch.jpg

ignswConnector.jpg

engineconnect.jpg

bulkhead2.jpg

bulkhead.jpg

ballast.jpg

Last edited:
Seat belt interlock That thing will not cause this problem, but if it trips it will disable the start function. A box with a reset button on the left fender apron. Locate the two yellowish wires and splice them permanently together

16kx4d2-jpg.jpg

-
Back