Ignition timing

-

Bewy

Reaction score
Building a 440 using TrickFlow heads, 78cc chambers, 240cc intake runners.
Comp ratio will be 10.5:1, pump fuel.
Solid roller cam.
Street driven.

Wondering about total timing. Has anybody built a similar combo?

Cam specs will get you closer estimates.

Pretty simple really. Give it all it will take initially and still start with ease with no bucking. Then limit to 36/38 total by the best means for you dizzy! Same recipe for every Mopar I think!

Building a 440 using TrickFlow heads, 78cc chambers, 240cc intake runners.
Comp ratio will be 10.5:1, pump fuel.
Solid roller cam.
Street driven.

Wondering about total timing. Has anybody built a similar combo?

Close to mine , very close . 23 initial , 34 total/in a t 3000 , 93 pump gas .

Pretty simple really. Give it all it will take initially and still start with ease with no bucking. Then limit to 36/38 total by the best means for you dizzy! Same recipe for every Mopar I think!

That simplifies more than most are willing to grasp. Everyone wants a number, but what you just described, if done correctly, can work for everything out there.

I am about 19 initial with 35 total running a 383 on REC90. 906 heads with zero deck flat tops. Early 108 center 292/509 cam advanced 4 degrees. No ping or Detonation, quick fire and no buck. The vacuum advance Is blocked with a BB and just for looks. It goes full advance by 2K RPM. Dizzy is a point type lean burn unit and I welded slots after seeing near 58 total. Bad luck for me finding the lean burn unit on a reman buy from Rock Auto but it works just fine in the end! I also run the pertronix III and the accompanying coil.

Last edited:
Not paying attention to this can and will also lead to overheating issues commonly blamed on radiators/fans and shrouds! It is always a total package!

Last edited:
I should also mention a 9” convertor in the 727 to be fair. That also factors to quick response and optimal timing for the end means! Every setup is different but as said the basic rule applies IMO! Find that sweet spot and limit total!

-
Back