Ignition tumbler question

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
Hello Mopar family, in need of your expertise. I have a 72 Dart and my original ignition tumbler was getting stuck in the start position. I had to manually turn it back by hand. I noticed I didn't have gauge lights & they were not working, until I turned it back.

I replaced the tumbler with a new one from Year One. I have the same problem. Is there something I'm missing in the column that is binding it? Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Best guess is there is a build up of old grease or other "Lube" in the cyl or the mechanisms that wont let it return on its own. I assume there is a return spring in the mechanism somewhere and that might be the problem?

If you were to remove the battery and turn the key to the start position would it eventually return to run? maybe with a little tapping on the column near the key. That would show that the return spring is good and it is just gummed up.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try that in the morning & take it apart if that doesn't fix it.

Best guess is there is a build up of old grease or other "Lube" in the cyl or the mechanisms that wont let it return on its own. I assume there is a return spring in the mechanism somewhere and that might be the problem?

If you were to remove the battery and turn the key to the start position would it eventually return to run? maybe with a little tapping on the column near the key. That would show that the return spring is good and it is just gummed up.

Did you replace the key tumbler or the ignition switch?

The switch itself is what usually wears out, and a lot of the action of the tumbler is from the switch.

I replaced the tumbler only. Guess I will replace the switch. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Did you replace the key tumbler or the ignition switch?

The switch itself is what usually wears out, and a lot of the action of the tumbler is from the switch.

Only spring action is return from start to run and that spring is inside the switch. Replacement switch includes wiring down column and harness connector. A lot of these aftermarket switches have a extra small black wire in the port where a column shift build has the orange wire from indicator lamp. You may find 2 pink wires from a key buzzer in this connector too. We'll sort all this when you get to it.

Thanks so much. Just ordered the switch & will be here end of the week!

Only spring action is return from start to run and that spring is inside the switch. Replacement switch includes wiring down column and harness connector. A lot of these aftermarket switches have a extra small black wire in the port where a column shift build has the orange wire from indicator lamp. You may find 2 pink wires from a key buzzer in this connector too. We'll sort all this when you get to it.

-
Back