[FOR SALE] I'm back with my dual 3.5" speaker brackets

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine today. Looks nice, I am going to smooth off the edges so I don't cut the speakers once I install them. I will post pics once I get the speakers installed.

Nice work! This has been an issue for years & I'm glad someone found a great way to improve a sound system in a mopar.

My price is always just $26 for any location in the US lower 48, $27 to Canada, and $29 to Australia (shipping included). You can go to my ORDER FORM to fill out the necessary vehicle, shipping, and payment preference information, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. I usually am able to ship the next day following payment.

Got mine this week.....thanks.

Stock piling parts before pulling my dash apart. Will post pictures when I pick up some speakers and install it.

Same here-received it Wednesday I think, here's a couple pix of the speakers mounted in there. I'll probably put some thick foam around the edge to keep it from vibrating, and maybe a small spacer on the mounting studs.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 520
  • photo 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 516
...maybe a small spacer on the mounting studs.
I've used short segments of 5/16" rubber fuel line for spacers - you can cut it for any length required. By the way, nice speakers, and it doesn't look like the center cones will stick up much beyond the mounting surface.

I put dual four inchers in my Barracuda and Valiant. One option for the early As is to make a plate that mounts to the regular speaker bracket. I even found room to mount small tweeters in the Valiant with the crossovers sitting on a bracket on the radio. The Barracuda has coaxial two-ways. Both cars sound good and have surprising stereo separation bouncing off the windshield. If you do it you can prevent over driving the small speakers by mounting a filter capacitor. It keeps the small speakers from trying to create too deep of frequency and buzzing or popping due to lack of control.
496 MFD blocks below 80Hz @ 4 Ohms
398 MFD blocks below 100 Hz @ 4 ohms
330 MFD blocks below 120 Hz@ 4 ohms
This is an approximation so capacitor values can be slightly different.

Keep the magnet size and location in mind as they have potential to interfere with the wiper mechanism so check prior to final installation.

You can hide some 6" or lager subs somewhere else in the car if you really need the bass of a larger driver.

I'm pretty sure 74Sport has a one piece aluminum bracket that holds twin 3-1/2 speakers as I sent him a pattern a while back.

What did you use to cover the speakers? And what brand are the speakers and tweeters?

These brackets go in the place of the old speakers under the slotted dash grille. What do you mean by "cover the speakers"? Are you wondering if there is a need for a cloth-type material between the speakers and the grille?

I used black speaker grille cloth. It is available from Parts Express. It is not necessary to cover them but it will help in keeping dust and debris out of the cones. The speakers in my photos are Boston Acoustics 4" for my Barracuda or Excursion 4" for my Valiant. (they were a clearance deal from Parts Express too)

I used black speaker grille cloth. It is available from Parts Express. It is not necessary to cover them but it will help in keeping dust and debris out of the cones. The speakers in my photos are Boston Acoustics 4" for my Barracuda or Excursion 4" for my Valiant. (they were a clearance deal from Parts Express too)

Thanks that what I was askin about Dart Sport. I think it will keep the cones clean like he said and look like it is the factory speaker as well.

Do they sound good really loud or do they pop and krackel? Do you have pics from top and bottom installed?

I have built three more speaker sets to fit in 6x9 spaces since I did my cars. One set went into an old Chev pickup and used Crucnch CRS40CX drivers and another into a Chebby coupe which used Kenwood KFC-1093PS drivers (with some cheapo 6" bass drivers under the back seat) if your looking for some 4" spaeker options. The third setup went into a nicely built Studebaker and it used Focal 100KRS fronts with some Focal Utopia BE13WS put into sealed enclosures that hid under the seat and it sounded awesome! Another option if you recently inherited a small fortune:)

These 4" drivers should fit into '74Sports 6X9 panels if you orient them properly.

"Do they sound good really loud or do they pop and krackel? Do you have pics from top and bottom installed?"

"Really loud" is a very subjective term. If you use the proper blocking caps they will not pop or crackle but your lower frequency is limited. Matching your drivers to power output is important as well. The more power available (within reason) the cleaner your sound will be.

You can't expect 3-1/2 or 4" drivers to reproduce extremely high decible levels but quality drivers will produce reasonable amounts of volume, especially since the sound is reflecting off the windsield right into your face. I prefer to have larger bass drivers hidden elswhere in the car along with the dash speakers, which adds considerably to fullness, presence and to the volume.

This system compromises sound quality for appearance. If you want really loud volumes and accurate soundstage this is not for you. If you want to have some decent sound with reasonable volume AND retain appearance this is an option. I'm pretty critical for sound quality and the systems in my cars are a long way from audiophile quality, but they provide acceptable sound while retaining stock appearance so I am happy.

I don't currently have any photos of speakers installed and the Valiant is in storage and the speakers are not currently in the Barracuda as I pulled them, and most of the rest of the interior, for a makover. Next time I get the Valiant out I'll try to remeber to get some shots for you.

"Do they sound good really loud or do they pop and krackel? Do you have pics from top and bottom installed?"

"Really loud" is a very subjective term. If you use the proper blocking caps they will not pop or crackle but your lower frequency is limited. Matching your drivers to power output is important as well. The more power available (within reason) the cleaner your sound will be.

You can't expect 3-1/2 or 4" drivers to reproduce extremely high decible levels but quality drivers will produce reasonable amounts of volume, especially since the sound is reflecting off the windsield right into your face. I prefer to have larger bass drivers hidden elswhere in the car along with the dash speakers, which adds considerably to fullness, presence and to the volume.

This system compromises sound quality for appearance. If you want really loud volumes and accurate soundstage this is not for you. If you want to have some decent sound with reasonable volume AND retain appearance this is an option. I'm pretty critical for sound quality and the systems in my cars are a long way from audiophile quality, but they provide acceptable sound while retaining stock appearance so I am happy.

I don't currently have any photos of speakers installed and the Valiant is in storage and the speakers are not currently in the Barracuda as I pulled them, and most of the rest of the interior, for a makover. Next time I get the Valiant out I'll try to remeber to get some shots for you.

OK thanks sorry but I am a speaker noob but what are blocking caps?

Capacitors in the speaker circuit which prevent over driving the small speakers. Kind of like a basic crossover network. They keep the small speakers from trying to create too deep of frequency and buzzing or popping due to lack of control. You can use:
496 MFD capacitor - blocks below 80Hz @ 4 Ohms
398 MFD capacitor -blocks below 100 Hz @ 4 ohms
330 MFD capacitor -blocks below 120 Hz@ 4 ohms
This is an approximation so capacitor values can be slightly different.

These can be sourced from your local car stereo shop (probably expensive there)or a place like Parts Express.

New order form filled out !!! First bracket (for my '69 Dart) I ordered is installed,just waiting for my custom sub box to be finished and the whole system to be installed !! Can't wait to hear them !!

New order form filled out !!! First bracket (for my '69 Dart) I ordered is installed,just waiting for my custom sub box to be finished and the whole system to be installed !! Can't wait to hear them !!

Always glad to have a repeat customer, Dennis. Keep us posted on the progress.
Thanks much...

I have this bracket installed, just haven't had a chance to choose/install a new stereo yet. It fits great though with my Pioneers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back