I'm doing something wrong

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I'm replacing the leaky brake cylinders on my '66 Barracuda (10" drum brakes). Before doing so I took a picture of the brake assembly so I'd know how to get it back together. Now I'm having a helluva time & am wondering if the picture I took was how someone before me did it wrong in terms of the shoes and emergency brake. Where can I find a video or instructions on how to put the rear brakes back on? I've seen a couple of generic videos on You tube. I'd sure like to see an early A Body with 10" drums.
Thanks

They should look close to this:

brakes.jpg

front and rear sides same except the addition of parking brake link and lever in rear. No wonder we moved to disks! I got 10's and can take a pic if needed. already up on the stands with the wheels off.

Except for the shoes,and the adjusters; I'm pretty sure it all fits AND works only one way; so pretty hard to assemble it wrong.
the adjusters are side specific, and the short shoe always goes to the front.

They should look close to this:

View attachment 1715429257
That's what I have (the rear one). The manual says I should put the bottom part (adjusting screw, adjuster lever, and the heavy spring that hooks onto the adjuster lever) FIRST. I can't get that spring to stretch from the left side brake shoe to the adjuster lever. I have the adjuster screwed in all the way...but I'm still a good 1/4 - 1/2" away from hooking onto the adjuster lever. If I hook them together FIRST, then I can't get the adjuster in place. I know I'm missing something......

The pushpins in the wheelcylinders have to be fully retracted, and the shoes firmly seated against the anchor-pin at the top. You may have to crack the bleeders to let this happen. If you do then block the brake pedal UP, else by it's own weight it will fall down and make a mess.

If the park brake cable is not relaxed, it will be as good as impossible to get it all assembled and even if you can, you still will not be able to install the drum. So job one is to relax the park cables

I think I found a way to cheat that lower spring: Pull the shoes away from the backing plate and get the adjuster in and then cross the shoes up top to get the heavy spring attached, then you pull the shoes apart at the top and get it back up into the backing plate. This will stretch the big lower spring but it will be in place. Then you get the pistons lined up and the top springs. finally you install the shoe pins. I think thats how I did it but its been a while. I use a screwdriver as a lever to locate the spring anchor and then hook the spring around the shaft and wedge it over so the spring slides down the shaft and onto the anchor. Wear safety glasses and know your surroundings as you can launch a spring pretty easily.

Do it like Pisha described. You can use a Vise Grip.

Last edited:
-
Back