Improving oil flow.

Slant 6 Engines

1. oldmodlover

oldmodlover Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:17 PM
    Been following Uncle Tony on his slant build.

Tearing mine down now for rebuild #2.
    I bought it as a rebuilt ( but not "recent rebuild")
    This is the first slanty l have done but have prepped a few small block Chevy blocks for dirt track racing. You know, the usual grinding off flash and blending and smoothing oil passages for better flow.
    Upon removing the oil pump l noticed a little bit of casting flash and sharp / rough surfaces where the oil enters the oil galley down the side of the block.
    I can't help but think that there should be some sort of advantage in oil flow, both on pressure side and return side, to smooth some of these surfaces.

I know Uncle Tony did some smoothing on the block for better oil return to the pan. ( and also a little weight reduction - which is good).
    But l don't think he really addressed the oil galley.
    From years of oval track racing l know a 2600 lb car car is a Hell of a lot quicker than a 3200 lb car.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on smoothing some of this stuff for better oil flow.
    I'm not going to go crazy on it. Motor is a daily driver but will see interstate speed of 70(+) he he.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • abdywgn

abdywgn dismantler

Local Time:
      it can't hurt it. did smoothing on my 360 where the pump mates to the main cap and also the oil filter adapter. I think it's a good idea period.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • TrailBeast

TrailBeast Slightly Twisted Member

Local Time:
        6:17 PM
        Nick on Nicks Garage in Canada recommends some of this on the 440 oil pump.
        IMO, any smoothing of casting flash is a good thing, and especially the oil galleys and any place the oil returns to the pan.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • oldmodlover

oldmodlover Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Actually found a good post from Dr.D on .org that answered pretty much what l was looking for.
          Mainly geared towards 5,000 rpm motors but can't help to think most would not also apply to street motors.
          I only have enough money to build it once. But a lot of the build is knowledge / labor.
          I have air grinders , de-burring tools, bits,mini belt sanders etc.
          Also old guy (" old school") at the machine shop treats me well.
          It helps going in there knowing , or at least having a good idea of what l want.
          Thanks for the responses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.