in today episode of "what is that smell"

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
its summer, and with summer come strange smells

a few days ago i started smelling something in the car which could best be described as "bananabread gone bad"
not too far fetched since i got kids and i know a few of them had some bananabread on sunday

so as i was loading them up to go to church last nite i told them "tomorrow we are all cleaning out this car to figure out what this smell is"
my boy (who was sitting all the way in the back) reached down and said

i found it

its leaking

ITS LEAKING

turned out, when we went shopping a gallon of milk got left behind in the car and from the sound of it, it popped open and turned into cottage cheese

needless to say, i spend all morning shampooing the carpet of the car

its summer, and with summer come strange smells

a few days ago i started smelling something in the car which could best be described as "bananabread gone bad"
not too far fetched since i got kids and i know a few of them had some bananabread on sunday

so as i was loading them up to go to church last nite i told them "tomorrow we are all cleaning out this car to figure out what this smell is"
my boy (who was sitting all the way in the back) reached down and said

i found it

its leaking

ITS LEAKING

turned out, when we went shopping a gallon of milk got left behind in the car and from the sound of it, it popped open and turned into cottage cheese

needless to say, i spend all morning shampooing the carpet of the car

The reason why I always have them put my milk in a bag.

When I worked at the dealer, a gal came in with a smell complaint. It smelled like a dead critter. We looked all over but the smell would go away when the a/c was on. We found a package of hamburger in the trunk drop from a trip to the butcher shop a few weeks earlier.

:mob::lol::lol:

That’s almost better than what happened to my wife once, when the girls were home she bought pickles in big jar’s. She was driving a Ford full size van at the time so she would load everything in the rear no problem. But one trip the pickles got loose Rolling forward in the van and hitting legs for the seat’s instantly breaking the glass container, we shampooed that carpet several times that next year. I don’t know if we just got used to it or it actually disappeared after about three years but but big jars of pickles got put in a box from then on.

When I worked at the dealer, a gal came in with a smell complaint. It smelled like a dead critter. We looked all over but the smell would go away when the a/c was on. We found a package of hamburger in the trunk drop from a trip to the butcher shop a few weeks earlier.

:mob::lol::lol:
Eww

i think we were lucky it was in an bag, and on a bag, so when it did spill at least not the entire gallon got in the carpet

That’s almost better than what happened to my wife once, when the girls were home she bought pickles in big jar’s. She was driving a Ford full size van at the time so she would load everything in the rear no problem. But one trip the pickles got loose Rolling forward in the van and hitting legs for the seat’s instantly breaking the glass container, we shampooed that carpet several times that next year. I don’t know if we just got used to it or it actually disappeared after about three years but but big jars of pickles got put in a box from then on.

we live about 2 miles down from the heinz factory
if the wind is just right the entire town smells like overdue pickles

This valley is agricultural, from the beach all the way to the mountains. If it's flat and there aren't houses built on it or oil pumping units on it, chances are it's being farmed. Years ago sugar beets were very common as a summer crop, that being so, Union Sugar had a processing plant on the west side of town out where the railroad could get to it. Beet harvest season saw all of the valley beets and a large amount of beets grown in many parts of SoCal here to be processed. For months when the wind was blowing in the usual direction most of town smelled like baking potatoes :lol:. "I'm hungry. Where is that damm sour cream?"

LMAO

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES. You should have had a picture of the cleanup!

Here ya go

20220623_104345.jpg

I have few for y’all.

1# During culinary school in San Fran, the school opened a new campus in the SOMA area, everything way brand new in the place, so we’re about 6 weeks in and and a small walk-in cooler went down for a cold food class over a holiday 3 day weekend, needless to say the cooler did not just turn off, but turned into an oven. So as you opened the front door and got on the elevator, the worst rank of rotten fish and god knows what wafted in the whole 2nd floor and above.

#2 in Culinary school, the chef instructor for Euro class was a complete French asshole, so after about of him ringing his desk bell, it got baked in puff pastry about 20 minutes before the end of call with a timer and a note on his desk for the “oven bell”. On the last day of his class, we took a tub of shrimp and scallops we were cooking in the cooler for some days, and put them under his desk, so when you walked by on Monday, it stunk super bad…

#3 was at Bristol for the spring Cup race, on the day we showed up, about 10 days from the race, the trash compactor was just awful, it had been sitting there, since the summer race just fermenting for months and covered in the largest maggots I have ever seen.

#4 we were at Atlanta for the spring race and had these large BBQ’s for the hospitality tents, on Cup race day we had a full 100+ pound pig on the grill for the lunch service, well the lid on the grill was closed and the equipment guys did not open it, and the chefs did not thrown the pig out, so that grill got loaded on a simi trailer and shipped to Kentucky for the derby, and the same equipment guy unloaded the grill and got the full experance of a 6 week old roasted pig….

Ok, last one, we were in Vegas for the spring Drag races, one of the sous chefs at the track was an super asshole and we had ceviche on the menu, so he got a bowl of this under the back seat of his 90’s Jeep Cherokee on Sunday afternoon, come Wednesday morning, he’s pulling everything out of it looking for the stench, he found it, big *** bowl of rotting fish and shrimp, an hour later he was fired. Was already on chopping block….

Ok, last one, we were in Vegas for the spring Drag races, one of the sous chefs at the track was an super asshole and we had ceviche on the menu, so he got a bowl of this under the back seat of his 90’s Jeep Cherokee on Sunday afternoon, come Wednesday morning, he’s pulling everything out of it looking for the stench, he found it, big *** bowl of rotting fish and shrimp, an hour later he was fired. Was already on chopping block….

I know what's in ceviche, so I have to be confident in the person that prepared it, and numerous south of the border adult beverages are required beforehand :rofl:

I have few for y’all.

1# During culinary school in San Fran, the school opened a new campus in the SOMA area, everything way brand new in the place, so we’re about 6 weeks in and and a small walk-in cooler went down for a cold food class over a holiday 3 day weekend, needless to say the cooler did not just turn off, but turned into an oven. So as you opened the front door and got on the elevator, the worst rank of rotten fish and god knows what wafted in the whole 2nd floor and above.

#2 in Culinary school, the chef instructor for Euro class was a complete French asshole, so after about of him ringing his desk bell, it got baked in puff pastry about 20 minutes before the end of call with a timer and a note on his desk for the “oven bell”. On the last day of his class, we took a tub of shrimp and scallops we were cooking in the cooler for some days, and put them under his desk, so when you walked by on Monday, it stunk super bad…

#3 was at Bristol for the spring Cup race, on the day we showed up, about 10 days from the race, the trash compactor was just awful, it had been sitting there, since the summer race just fermenting for months and covered in the largest maggots I have ever seen.

#4 we were at Atlanta for the spring race and had these large BBQ’s for the hospitality tents, on Cup race day we had a full 100+ pound pig on the grill for the lunch service, well the lid on the grill was closed and the equipment guys did not open it, and the chefs did not thrown the pig out, so that grill got loaded on a simi trailer and shipped to Kentucky for the derby, and the same equipment guy unloaded the grill and got the full experance of a 6 week old roasted pig….

Sounds like you lead a 'smelly' life. LOL. I guess these stories are inevitable when you are a chef and are around food all the time.

I have few for y’all.

It would not have hurt my feelings if Ya just dropped some behind his door panels....

Herer's another ground beef story for you...
Some years ago we had gone shopping at Costco and loaded all the groceries in the 5th wheel storage box in the bed of our truck. We unloaded the box as soon as we got home but somehow forgot about 6 pounds of hamburger.
The box lid got closed and not opened for about a month. The truck was driven most every day and always parked outside in the sun.
OMG!!! The stench when that box lid was next opened! And then you had to lean down to get the rotten meat out.
Thank God it was an aluminum box. I scrubbed it out and left the lid open all weekend to air out.

This isn't a rotten food story, but just the same. Back in my late teens, early 20's I was at a kegger. There were alot of people there. This guy in his 70 Torino GT, with a 351 Cleveland pulls up after running full bore from the neighboring town 7 miles away. He pulls up right in the middle of the party and jumps out of his car and says something is burning under my hood. Somebody had wired a dead cat to the exhaust manifold very tightly. It was nasty!

Co-worker prank on his cousin that worked at the same place.
His wife brought him lunch, and they just ate it on the tailgate of his truck, their new-born baby took a real nasty crap in his diaper, after momma changed the diaper, the co-worker stuck the stinky diaper under the seat of his cousins old POS ranger.

He finally found the diaper after a few weeks when his wife made him clean the POS ranger out before she would ride in it.
The cousin told his wife, this damn old truck has had a bad funny smell for weeks now. It was hot summer in WV.

I was working at a dealership and this guy had his car towed in after it was involved in an accident. He had been fishing and left the fish in the car. After sitting in the sun for a couple of weeks waiting to get repaired....well you can just imagine

I worked selling cars at a Nissan dealership. The was a really nice 4wd ford
Quad cab that I saw other salesmen trying to sell. No joy. I asked one day why it didnt sell, tbe sale manager gave me the keys and said chek it out. A soon as I opened the door, The smell told me that someone had died and rotted in there.They eventually wholesaled it.

A friend of mine got Grumpy Old Manned by his youngest son when he was little. He took the boys ice fishing. The youngest one caught his first and it was too small to keep.He was so wanting to keep it. He must have taken it and put it under the back seat of his dad’s Bronco and forgot about.
When the weather started to warm up it start to smell.
He searched and finally found it. I don’t remember him buying a bunch of pine tree air fresheners though.

Great thread, nothing like curdle milk smells.. sour, and stinky!!
My mom drove here from Illinois in he Jeep Comanche truck, inline 6 4.0.

We get up the next morning early and walk out to my trusty old 73 red Challenger mom parked next to ta go get breakfast and coffee, as I open passenger door for my mom I am smelling something, so I shut the door, my wife had drivers side open getting in the back, I get in and my mom says Mike, you have something dead in your car like a mouse maybe! I thought to my self this stinks, showed her my nice old car my wife drives and this chit happens... look at treva and she said she could smell it.. it clears as I hit the A/C so we go eat :thumbsup:
We get back home and get out of the car and it hit us again :eek:... Mom !! (I say) it's not in my car, it's here I smell it, I crawl under it holding my nose and couldn't find anything.... my nose went to sniffing and between the muffler and the heat shield was a cooked kitty.... she drove from Northern Illinois where it was still chilly, so I guess that why she didn't smell it... that happened 36 years ago

FB_IMG_1587820424343.jpg

-
Back