Incline parking and converter drainage

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Am I overthinking this? My driveway has an incline, and the way I see it, if I park with the front of the car facing uphill, the converter will drain more than if I were to back in, with the engine facing downhill.

Does it even matter? The converter will refill once the car is started, but is it better to prevent the ATF from draining in the first place?

The converter picks up fluid so quick it'll never know the difference.

Cool, thanks Rusty. The stupidest things rattle around in my head when I’m trying to go sleep.

Converters refill much better in NEUTRAL, and yes, that is different than "park."

I’ve heard of folks starting their cars in neutral. Is this best practice?

It's just a non issue. Park, neutral, drive, whatever. How many cars would have burned up converters if it was an issue?

The TransGo shift kit is good for their new manual valve that allows the converter to charge in PARK. It's not perfect; the fluid level might still be a little bit higher in PARK than NEUTRAL; like half an inch.

The TransGo shift kit is good for their new manual valve that allows the converter to charge in PARK. It's not perfect; the fluid level might still be a little bit higher in PARK than NEUTRAL; like half an inch.
When I rebuilt the 47re in my diesel I put in the two aftermarket
Valves from Sonnax. These charge the converter full time in park.

Trans GO "No Yo-Yo" kit includes the spool valve that prevents convertor drainback.
"..A727/A904 NoYoYo W/ Manual Valve Shift Kit 1960-Up TF6, TF8, 904 and 727 3 Speed RWD 60-up Aluminum Case Transmission Includes New Manual valve, Mumbly Peg for easy rooster comb assembly and items for unit calibration. Addresses Converter slip-shudder. Leaks out vent or lever. Front bushing and seal burnup. Drainback Complaint .."

Trans GO "No Yo-Yo" kit includes the spool valve that prevents convertor drainback.
"..A727/A904 NoYoYo W/ Manual Valve Shift Kit 1960-Up TF6, TF8, 904 and 727 3 Speed RWD 60-up Aluminum Case Transmission Includes New Manual valve, Mumbly Peg for easy rooster comb assembly and items for unit calibration. Addresses Converter slip-shudder. Leaks out vent or lever. Front bushing and seal burnup. Drainback Complaint .."
Yes it does and I won't say that valve does not work, but it is inferior
To the Sonnax design which uses a built in check valve that block flow completely in one direction and opens to flow as soon as the engine starts.

-
Back