Incorrect dash vin tag

-
Got a pic of a state issued one?

I do.

But they have nothing to do with this case.

The OP is in possession of a VIN swapped car that also has a counterfeit VIN tag on it.

He NEEDS to report it ASAP before he becomes complicit to the crimes committed before he took possession of the car.

To the OP - Ignore every armchair quarterback here, do the right thing for YOU.

Protect yourself.

Report the crime.

Nmvtis is what you seek, assuming you're in USA. Use any search service that uses this. I think I paid 95 cents last time.

Run every vin number you can find. See what comes back. IF these numbers don't match, don't have the same history, or don't reference each other.... you got issues.

NYS DMV is investigating it further.
The car was registered by me in NY back in October. It is also Currently insured. I’m waiting to hear back from DMV said it could take up to 99 days for the investigation. That’s all I have right now. I’m not inviting the man into this yet. The guy I got the car from said if it comes back bad in anyway he would make it right by taking the car back.
That is all for now. Thanks for all the responses.

Awesome! No need to squeal piggy piggy yet.:lol:
The car was registered by me in NY back in October. It is also Currently insured. I’m waiting to hear back from DMV said it could take up to 99 days for the investigation. That’s all I have right now. I’m not inviting the man into this yet. The guy I got the car from said if it comes back bad in anyway he would make it right by taking the car back.

Keep us in the loop when you finally get your answer. Inquiring minds want to know:)

Is 'the man' you mention your state police?

If so, they can get to this a whole lot faster than the DMV which does not typically investigate crime.

I have good contacts in NY state, so I can and will report this crime with you or without you.

As stated before, it is best for you as the victim to report the crime yourself.

Awesome! No need to squeal piggy piggy yet.:lol:

So, if someone breaks into your home and steals your stuff, are you NOT going to report the crime?

Driver sideswipes your car & does a hit and run? Report it or not, what would you do?

Anyone that is the victim of any crime can and should report it. RIGHT AWAY.

Let the guilty pay the price for their actions.

I don't know how other states handle state issued VIN's but in ND they all start with ND. On my homemade trailer the state assigned VIN is NDXXXXXX.

Ya know what they say.....snitches get stitches.:lol: Yer sticking yer nose where it isnt needed clown. The OP has gathered info, let him make that decision.

So, if someone breaks into your home and steals your stuff, are you NOT going to report the crime?

Driver sideswipes your car & does a hit and run? Report it or not, what would you do?

Anyone that is the victim of any crime can and should report it. RIGHT AWAY.

Let the guilty pay the price for their actions.

Oh I just came up with one....Rats get Bats! Or at least ball sacks dragged over their door handle....hairy wrinkled ones...

WHO called ?

hqdefault.jpg

I have good contacts in NY state, so I can and will report this crime with you or without you.

@Alaskan_TA I agree It would be faster to go to the police. Nothing is fast with the DMV. However, the OP is doing what he thinks is best and we should respect that.

I also agree with what @4spragtop said (although not in the childish manner he said it). If the OP went to the DMV, it’s not time to go to the police. If the DMV believes there is a crime (like If the other vin comes back stolen) they’ll contact the police. At least that’s what would happen in my state.

At the end of the day, it’s up to the OP. All we can do is give him advice.

The DMV is a bunch of clueless buffoons, you will get the answer you want going to the DMV, it is all how you ask the question.
I agree this is an issue for the state police not the DMV.

Alan

-
Back