Incredible excavation, WWII Russian aircraft, pilot remains, artifacts

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
In this video I want to show you the excavation of the Soviet MiG-3 fighter Sergeant Alexander Melnikov. He died in April 1942 in Parfino district, near the lake Ilmen. Was reported missing. The work was carried out by searchers from several teams of the Novgorod region. It wasn't easy, but it was very interesting. Relatives of the deceased pilot were found. Among Alexander's personal belongings was found a photo card with the text on the back: "Keep me as I keep you. A keepsake for Sasha from Zina" dated 41. He was not married.

That was really interesting, I cannot believe how well that pistol cleaned up, and the cash he had on him.

This is evidently high clay soil. I've read about other stuff that was buried, I guess England is pretty famous for "peat" preserving stuff. Years ago, somewhere, ?? the dug a German or Russian tank out of mud, maybe a river bottom, and it was amazingly preserved

If you want to learn about anaerobic storage and the powers of clay, visit the Steamship Arabia in Kansas City, Missouri.

That Russian and his fighter is a neat find. Even Russian soldiers deserve respect.

This reminds me of a story I saw many years ago on PBS. A team got together and decided to fly an old WWII B29 bomber abandoned in Greenland. They went through many hardships including removing the engines, dragging them back to the U.S. , and having them rebuilt. [In the cold and wind]. An emotional story that is worth watching.
It's on U-tube --- PBS-NOVA B-29 Frozen in Time

-
Back