Indy EZ, talks the talk, walks the walk.

-
I don't have any issues with ignition cross fire via the wires since routing them safely away from each other is easy. The cap is more of an issue than wires ever will be.

Well your heads can use a cam as big as 278/280 and .700/.700 which I have personally run on 91 octane and 11.5:1. Can't say how long the lifters will last with those spring pressures but it will need the $800-$1000 ones.

If you want to stay around 400-440# over the nose you can run a lesser expensive lifter ($450-600) for a long time and a roller cam 250/250, .600/.600.......but your heads are better than that.

Compromise, compromise, compromise.

I have this cam and will be using the 440EZ heads, what is the limiting factor for lift? I am slightly above what you say the max lift is for this head.

cam specs.gif

I have this cam and will be using the 440EZ heads, what is the limiting factor for lift? I am slightly above what you say the max lift is for this head.

View attachment 1714939446

Airwoofer's heads, those being referred to in the quoted post, were the 440-1 heads and I had actually had them in my shop. The physical limiting factors for lift on your heads will have to be determined by piston to valve clearance, retainer to seal clearance, coil bind and spring pressures. The EZ heads can be set up to lift well over .700".

Girdles don't do anything!
Why do you say that? What have you found? I ask with all respect since I know you are well established and experienced, so Id like to hear more on it since we all fear the cap walking issues and block failures.

Why do you say that? What have you found? I ask with all respect since I know you are well established and experienced, so Id like to hear more on it since we all fear the cap walking issues and block failures.

Cap walk is usually brought on from detonation or too much load on the engine. All girdles do is sit on top of the caps...they only locate the stud or bolt, absolutely they do nothing for the cap! Ask anyone who sells them to PROVE they work...can't be done. The registers in the block are what hold the cap still, so the tighter they are the better, but they can't be too tight or you'll tweak the cap. Cap walk is the caps vibrating under harmonics...how can a girdle that's not actually part of the main cap stop that? Even if the caps were cast together it won't stop vibrations the cap sees when under detonation. If the block flexes too much, this can also cause cap walk because if will loosen the grip it has on the registers that hold the cap in place....still not a damn thing a girdle can help with....;-)

What can be done to help? Obviously a proper tune up to avoid detonation but what else? Good studs, Aluminum caps? Thanks for your insight Brian.
I'll leave it here since
I don't want to hijack the thread.

Sorry I misunderstood, what horsepower numbers were those?

Hi IQ52! Do you still have those heads ans want to sell them to me perhaps? ;-) I am looking for a set on INDY EZ... Also looking for numbers of the Indy 440 EZ-1 ootb heads (cnc intake to max wedge opened and cnc bowl work by Indy).

Cap walk is usually brought on from detonation or too much load on the engine. All girdles do is sit on top of the caps...they only locate the stud or bolt, absolutely they do nothing for the cap! Ask anyone who sells them to PROVE they work...can't be done. The registers in the block are what hold the cap still, so the tighter they are the better, but they can't be too tight or you'll tweak the cap. Cap walk is the caps vibrating under harmonics...how can a girdle that's not actually part of the main cap stop that? Even if the caps were cast together it won't stop vibrations the cap sees when under detonation. If the block flexes too much, this can also cause cap walk because if will loosen the grip it has on the registers that hold the cap in place....still not a damn thing a girdle can help with....;-)

Stud whip lash causes cap walk , I have had no cap walk w/ a girdle , I did have cap walk w/ 4 bolt mains on a diff. engine tho .----------jmo

Idk if the BRC girdle on my 470 stroker has helped any but it sure didn’t hurt it any. It had been together for 16 years b4 it was torn down. The bearings were like brand new. No cap walk whatsoever. It also had numerous runs with nitrous. Kim

Years doesn’t tell the whole story. The amount of passes, not guessed passes tell the story. Every time my buddy gets drunk he tells us about his Chevy powered dragster having the same engine for 25 years. The car has sat for 24 1/2 years.

-
Back