Inferno Red 74 Duster!

-

89on35s

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, about 8 years ago, I bought a Duster. It was a 74 that I knew had rust, but I thought, hell, I'm settled down with a family now, I finally have time for this. Wow, was I wrong!

Attachments

• 23372180001_large (575x431).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,399
  • 23372180002_large (575x431).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 23372180003_large (575x431).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 23372180005_large (575x431).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,286
So, fast forward about 8 years, after a move, another child, and a little more wisdom, I knew I needed to kick start this project, or it would not be done prior to my retirement. And I'm not even forty!

I started digging into the car, disassembling it from back to front. I got all the interior out except for the dash and had to do some soul searching. Is this even within my abilities?

Look at the last photo and you'll see why I never gave up.

Attachments

• 20140321_140901 (640x480).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 20130717_200929 (640x480).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 20130717_200024 (640x480).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 20130717_195958 (640x480).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,293
  • 20130717_195905 (640x480).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 20130717_195840 (640x480).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,303
So, Thanks to the classifieds on FABO, and my Dad who was crazy enough to go with me on one hell of a road trip (5700kms in 64 hours including a couple hours to load) we picked this little gem up Just north of Dallas Texas. The plan is to combine the 2 cars to make one. The Texas car has power brakes and factory AC which was another real bonus.

Attachments

• On the road (640x480).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,560
  • Getting closer (640x480).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Finally home (2).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,304
wow nice. big drive saskatchewan to texas holy cow! and back!

good luck on the build keep us updated

Good move on your part.
You'll never regret buying a better, rust free body instead of fixing a rusty car.
Can't wait to see more progress!

I'm really excited about it. I plan to use the 360/727/8 1/4(3.21 SG) with Super Stock 002/003 springs that I have on my white Duster for now. The guy I bought the red car from says he made room for an OD auto when he redid the floor, but that will have to wait till after it's rolling down the road and passed inspection.

I plan to use the black interior out of my white car, but use the Factory A/C from the red car. I am a little aprehensive about that since the A/C parts are in a big box that looks like a puzzle intended to drive someone crazy.

The paint needs a little touch up too. The previous owner intended to leave the piece of chrome trim at the back of the factory 1/2 vinyl top. and I can't see myself doing that. While at the paint shop, I'll get the hood and top of the front fenders and around the windows blacked out because I think that looks awesome, and the black accents look great with this color.

Once i get it on the road, I'll start putting together a pile of parts to make it corner and handle alot better. I already have the metal to tie the frames together, so I'll do that now.

Currently I'm just organizing the parts, tools and space needed to get this done with a target completion of next summer in time for Cruise Weekend in Saskatoon.

Wish me luck!

Good move on getting a rust free body, but Texas? That is one heck of a road trip from Canada. Your "little helper" is cute as a button.

5700kms in 64 hours including a couple hours to load

Holy crumbs...hope you bought your dad something special for dad's day...

Mind you, we dads don't ask for thanks when helping the kids :)

Holy crumbs...hope you bought your dad something special for dad's day...

Mind you, we dads don't ask for thanks when helping the kids :)

I skipped an overtime shift and went out to spend the day with him and install a winch on his ATV. I think I still owe him though!

I'm one step closer. Both cars in the garage.

I have a bunch of supplies for subframe connectors, and POR 15 for the underside.

Fortunately my neighbor is a Pipeline welder and he agreed to weld in the connectors for Beer!

Attachments

• Side by Side.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,108
Well,

I got the diff out a while back so I could work on all the back floors. I've been busy with the POR 15 and a brush.

I also got started on my sub frame connectors. Man, I should clean off my bench.

Cley.

Attachments

• Frame connectors 3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Frame connectors 2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Frame connectors.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Diff out 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Diff out.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,081
I skipped an overtime shift and went out to spend the day with him and install a winch on his ATV. I think I still owe him though!

i tell ya, watching my kids now drive the car that we built is a special feeling...we were dialing in the timing better today...I am going to miss this.

i tell ya, watching my kids now drive the car that we built is a special feeling...we were dialing in the timing better today...I am going to miss this.

I have a few more years till graduation? My kids are 5 and 9. I love keeping up with your thread Grassy! I love that car. What you did with the interior is amazing! I'm glad they were able to drive it to Prom, even if it wasn't painted.

Cley

I built some seat mounting brackets. I needed to so I could weld the support plates to the floor before I finish off paint and undercoat on the bottom of the car. This is what I have so far. I'm going to have to weld on my console brackets too.

The seats I'm going to use are from a 96 Avenger that my sister wrecked a long time ago. I can use the original seat tracks with the brackets shown in the pictures. Comfortable and free are the 2 most important things to consider when choosing seats for your ride. I will recover them to match the original rear seat, but not for a while.

Attachments

• Seat brackets2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 970
  • Seat brackets.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 948
  • Bucket seat bottom.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 961
  • Bucket seat.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,004
Think you lucked out..comfortable, free and offer great neck support and protection..
You can dye them to match the interior if you like...

Ian :)

I have an old friend who has been in the upholstery business for many years. I want to try and do it myself with his guidance. Same type of material as stock with the vertical lines in the center and smooth sides and head rest. The picture in my head looks great!

Cley

Console brackets are in. I never installed the stock shifter or it's bracket. I believe I'll go with an aftermarket shifter and modify the console top. The console top is from an older car anyway.

Seats are not perfect yet. I have to cut off part of the factory seat track to make them sit level on my brackets. Ran out of zip discs. I will leave it like it is until the rest of the interior is in.

Cley

Attachments

• Cheap seats.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 946
  • Console 3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 879
  • Console 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 885
  • Console.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 932
Feeling pretty good about my progress. I got the fuel tank and diff out of the white car and am working on getting them ready to install in the red car.

Fuel tank is in great shape. What does everyone use to paint/preserve their fuel tanks? The whole bottom already has a healthy coat of undercoat.

Not sure what to do regarding the diff though. I have an A-body 8 1/4 with a 2.45 open diff from my red car and an F-body 8 1/4 with a 3.21SG from my white car. I'd really like to have the 3.21 SG in the A-body housing because I'd gain some tire clearance with the rims I currently have. They are 15x7.5 Aluminium slots with 3.75" bs and 245-60-15 Cooper Cobras. I'm thinking with the A-body housing I'd fit 275-60-15s on there which is the tire I want.

The 8 1/4 will be good for the short term as I have a mild 360, and lots planned before an engine upgrade.

I have 18 days off over Christmas. I hope to get lots done on my Duster. I have the diff ready to go in. The rear suspension is all cleaned up and ready to reinstall. When I get that done I'll get my welder buddy to come over and weld in my subframe connectors.

Attachments

• 20141222_155813.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 859
  • 20141222_163014.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 839
Great project, I have faced the same challenges with finding time and making progress.
My son and I have been at our project pretty regularly now for about 16 months after almost a 2 year pause due to a move...

Good looking replacement shell,nice find. Will there be any registration issues, coming over the border?

I did my homework, and there was no issues at the border when I brought it back. I have all the paper work so all if should take is a safety inspection to plate it. I spoke to the border people and the Saskatchewan government insurance people, so I don't forsee any problems. I will be putting it together fairly close to stock to ensure I pass safety. Then the gen 3 hemi etc can happen later as time and money permits.

-
Back