Info on a slipping trans

-

slantflat

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a compound question about a car I'm going to look at. 68 Valiant 225 automatic. I don't know what trans came with the 225.

Seller says the trans slips when it's cold, but then doesn't slip when it warms up. If he drives every day it won't slip, but if it sets more than a couple days it will slip when cold.

It's possible it's just low on fluid. If filled to the proper level, will all be good or is the trans already toast? Could a band adjustment be done to fix this or again is the trans toast?

I have two parts cars both with automatics, that drove well when parked but that was long ago(one a tree fell on the other the primary driver died). What are the chances I can swap in one of these and have a good trans with little or no maintenance? If I change fluid and filter is that a no-no in something that's been setting?

If I need to rebuild, are there parts that make the job difficult or more expensive, or is it a straight forward rebuild. I won't be doing the job, but would like to know what to expect.

I have a feeling I already know most of the answers here, but I'd like to hear some others experiences. I'm familiar with the Turbo Hydramatic. Good trans but once it slips it's done.

Thanks everyone.

Pull pan and see if filter is plugged, may not be pulling enough fluid when cold.
Lon

Generally when a trans slips when cold and gets better when warmed up the seals are hardened up. That of course means a rebuild. The bad thing about automatic transmissions sitting a long time is the seals harden. Are the ones in your parts cars hardened, I can't answer that but knowing what I know about transmissions and how easy a torqueflite is to rebuild and how much work it is swapping them out I personally always go through them so I know they'll work when installed. The only parts that may cause the job to be more expensive are badly worn hard parts that need replaced. I've rebuilt numerous 350 Turbo's as well as Torqueflite's and the Torqueflite has less parts and is quicker to do

You can get products to put into the trans to swell the seals. This is a short term solution. If it works and the slip is gone, then you know that fishy is right on target.Your trans is relatively simple to rebuild, requiring almost no specialty tools.

-
Back