information on tachometer wiring

-

moparfreak52

Reaction score
i'm wondering if someone has a wiring diagram for a 66 barracuda fs TACHOMETER i'm trying to find out if there's 2 wires coming off the TACH. any pictures and information will be helpful THANKS

Red wire power

Black wire ground

Green wire, signal from ignition coil

White wire, back light to work with dash lights circuit.

Is usually how most tachs are wired.

Factory tachs are two wire- one power wire and one pickup wire to the coil. Lighting comes from cluster.

Red wire power

Black wire ground

Green wire, signal from ignition coil

White wire, back light to work with dash lights circuit.

Is usually how most tachs are wired.

'66 (and '65) use a tach sending unit. They don't wire like a stand alone tach. I've probably got the diagram in the FSM, but I don't think it's scanned in.

The actual tach only has one wire going to it. Here's a photo of the wiring harness, tach drive, and the back of the cluster.

'66tach.jpg

Tach has to be grounded in order to function. Grounding on 66's tachs are through the cluster via the instrument panel ground to body. On 65's, the tach has two wires attached to the back of the tach. One yellow wire from the sending unit and a black or brown dedicated ground wire.

Tach has to be grounded in order to function. Grounding on 66's tachs are through the cluster via the instrument panel ground to body. On 65's, the tach has two wires attached to the back of the tach. One yellow wire from the sending unit and a black or brown dedicated ground wire.

where is the sending unit? got factory tach out of junkyard yellow,dk blue,red black green wires. how to wire?

It would be better if you started a new thread. What is the junkyard tach actually out of?

SW pancake sender is behind driver knee side panel. $$$ items on a 65!

-
Back