Initial Rocker Clearance?

-

bob_o

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wrapping up the rebuild and installation of the 225 for my '66 Valiant. While the factory shop manual specs out clearance for a "hot" engine, it says nothing about a cold, fresh engine. I'm wondering what I should set the clearances to for initial startup? Thanks in advance.

I just adjust cold to the hot specs. It's only going to change .002" when warm....IF that. It's splittin hairs man. Adjust cold and not running. That way you don't burn or otherwise injure yourself.

4CE6DC46-7A5D-4543-BAA3-CDC2D699BCD4.png

I just adjust cold to the hot specs. It's only going to change .002" when warm....IF that. It's splittin hairs man. Adjust cold and not running. That way you don't burn or otherwise injure yourself.
AGREE , BUT .006 IF ITS AN ALUM. HEADED V-8 .

Yep. +.002 over the hot specs. I adjusted my #1 hot one night and let it sit untouched. Next day with engine stone cold I rechecked and the gap had opened up .002. I set 2-6 cold, matching the #1 clearance.

One thing to watch for on a high mileage slant is the rockers get grooves worn in them. A wide feeler will give false readings.

Why is everyone afraid to adjust them the right way? Both here and at .org people all the time asking about this what are you afraid of? Done many hot and running over the years.
I can see getting them close when reassembling, but I always checked them hot and running.

-
Back