Inner front Fender

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have photos of where they had to drill the spot welds to get the inner fender out of their A-Body? I am about to start pulling the left inner fender out of a Duster then one out of a Dart to install in the Dart. This is my first adventure at this level of metal work and I don't want to destroy either one learning :)

There a lot! I don't have pics but I have done them. Maybe whip into the for sales and look up inner fenders. I know some of the members here have very good pics of what they are selling. You can see the drilled spotwelds on some.

Buy the spot weld removal drill bit saves time and be patient

Buy the spot weld removal drill bit saves time and be patient

I have blair cutters and have a few along the back top edge drilled and separated. I am just having a hard time recognizing where they are.

It’s kinda a feel thing I’ve used emery cloth to find them and the bit works well

175769EA-F795-4C0F-B2BF-59FA98FDDF16.jpeg
Only ones I had on my phone 67 cuda
There is a little bead of weld up by the rad support too
3265B3C2-8AB7-4881-91BC-48495AAE831B.jpeg

Are they anywhere close to evenly spaced on the long straight runs?
If you don't have engine out of car it will be difficult to get to all of them. They are on the bottom attached to the frame rail.
More on shock tower and in lower UCA area. Also a series along the piece that attaches to the fire wall. And last but not least
to the core support. If you are replacing with a new one, grind out the spot welds on the old piece. Drill spot welds out on donor
piece. Remember grinding sparks and welding splash will pit glass. Have fun.

If you don't have engine out of car it will be difficult to get to all of them. They are on the bottom attached to the frame rail.
More on shock tower and in lower UCA area. Also a series along the piece that attaches to the fire wall. And last but not least
to the core support. If you are replacing with a new one, grind out the spot welds on the old piece. Drill spot welds out on donor
piece. Remember grinding sparks and welding splash will pit glass. Have fun.

thanks, both cars have been gutted....

A small pilot hole to control bit walk, a 5 buck HF bit, and a few drips from a can of this stuff…………..

upload_2018-6-13_7-36-0.png

An extension for the bit can come in handy as well.

I couldn’t see them all, once you get one out, you can slide a spot weld breaker, or 5-in-1 or screwdriver, or chisel up to id the next one

mine was pretty clean and I hit it with silver paint (all I had) but it made them highly visible. The HF bit works great BUT you need to use a small 1/8 drill to set the pilot hole or itll skate all over the place. I didnt even have to rotate the bit and I took out about 80 welds on a 65. When you weld them back in be very sure your unibody is level and squared up. Use 4 of the same jackstands on the same hard points under the chassis. Even use a tape measure to make sure its all plumb before you tack them in.

Last edited:
-
Back