Install BBM w/headers

-
I ran in to the same issue years ago acquiring BBM pan gaskets. Along with intake, VC gaskets and a few others. I've gotten to when I order, I order extras.
I found a upper radiator hose at Advance, robbed the cap off my Belvedere and headed to town. Put about 40 trouble free miles on the new engine. Since I'm changing from mostly track car to a cruiser, I need to ditch the Detroit Locker. Clanging, clunking, and 4.10's on the street are very annoying. What's my best option?

20190406_183823.jpg

I drank AndyF’s kool-aid and boy I couldn’t be happier. I had to lift the motor a touch to get the headers past the wheel well and motor mount boss on the engine. TTI’s. The first pic is of a cracked 400 that I tried to use to centerline for my dana 60. It looked like the headers would never fit. Alas, I dry fit the real motor and am in like Flynn.
6E3BC9B7-3140-446C-B01E-6566D291ECFD.jpeg
6DB94EEF-8DFB-43D7-A283-860A0DB2251B.jpeg
E3F5B59B-425F-48AE-BDE3-FF68CA21806D.jpeg
D3B522AE-2C9A-4680-83F9-DF2E23E1E4B9.jpeg
4963F433-4CF0-444B-BD87-82F90420FFAD.jpeg

They stopped making gen 1-2 sbc years ago too, but u can still walk in and buy a lot of parts for them.
Come on man, they built 100 SBCs for every BBM, if not more. Either accept that the VERY old cars we love are not going to be easy to keep and maintain, or switch to generic motors and have race blocks and aftermarket heads flowing like milk and honey./s

Come on man, they built 100 SBCs for every BBM, if not more. Either accept that the VERY old cars we love are not going to be easy to keep and maintain, or switch to generic motors and have race blocks and aftermarket heads flowing like milk and honey./s
Haha, I’m pretty sure you can buy anything to keep a SBC running at wal*mart. I went to the local speed shop, THEY don’t even have anything for us. Including, intake bolts and 7.5” ball ball pushers. They best luck I have had is from old Napa stores and carquest stores that advance auto bought out, but still have old inventory. Otherwise, there is no such thing as instant gratification as far as parts go. I even have to order parts for my 03 honda element.

Hey , are those the summit racing valve covers ? I likem ----how tall are they compaired to a mopar performance big block cover ??
famous bob, I found the name of the vendor where I bought the valve covers. Top Street Performance. Santa Fe, CA

famous bob, I found the name of the vendor where I bought the valve covers. Top Street Performance. Santa Fe, CA

Thanks : does ur dart slightly jerk to the left when u nadd power from alow speede turn , with the Detroit locker ? I`m thinking the front radials sidewalls being flimsy is contributing to this?

I never really noticed. Next time I get it out I'll pay more attention to that. It's the clanking and clunking that bothers me the most. That never bothered me when I was younger. Course that was just about the only real heavy duty posi back then.
What are the options nowadays for a good 9" posi unit?

You could use a helical gear lsd from motive gear, no clutches to wear or special oils needed.
Neil.
ps it's what i'm getting when they arrive at work :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks : does ur dart slightly jerk to the left when u nadd power from alow speede turn , with the Detroit locker ? I`m thinking the front radials sidewalls being flimsy is contributing to this?
I drove the Dart to town today and didn't notice any jerking or ill behavior when turning either direction. Just the same klanking and clunking from the Detroit Locker.

I drove the Dart to town today and didn't notice any jerking or ill behavior when turning either direction. Just the same klanking and clunking from the Detroit Locker.

I have driven cars w/spools on the street, thinking about going to one in this car too, sure could use a lot more traction too--

I'm sure sidewall height and stiffness would contribute to the issue. Probably be exaggerated with a spool. What differential are you running now?

I need to replace the Detroit Locker with something a little more street friendly. Not sure which one I should be looking at. Eaton Truetrac, Wavetrac or Strange S-Trac. I've got to find center section w/3.250" and 35 spline. My Strange axles won't work with Moser centers.

20190412_110753.jpg

I need to replace the Detroit Locker with something a little more street friendly. Not sure which one I should be looking at. Eaton Truetrac, Wavetrac or Strange S-Trac. I've got to find center section w/3.250" and 35 spline. My Strange axles won't work with Moser centers.

View attachment 1715318536

HEY, YOU HAVE UR PICK UPS THE SAME AS I DO ! I use both w/ dual 1/2" inline filters to feed my inline fuel inj. pump. Do you have any low fuel pick up problems/ I have always kinda worried about it on the street, but haven`t experienced any problems. I thot about dropping the back of the tank a little, but would run in to filler tube problems.
Clean lookin car !~

I haven't experienced any starvation. Yet! Now that it's mostly a street car, I probably will if I ever let the fuel level fall below an eighth of a tank.

I haven't experienced any starvation. Yet! Now that it's mostly a street car, I probably will if I ever let the fuel level fall below an eighth of a tank.
\
Same here, but my gas gauge is screwy, so I put gas in about every 2-3rd time I drive it.

my mum had a car with a non op fuel gauge, i told her to fill it up and zero the trip. when she'd done 100 miles fill up again. she'd only ever have a small fuel bill each time and if she was skint she had fuel to keep her going for a while.
neil.

I have the Tri-Y Headers in my 67 Valiant with a 383.
It couldnt be easyer to install! I have Power steering as well and don´t need to dimount the column shaft.

Well, I decided on the Schumacher headers. The install was simple as can be. I hated to choke the 470 down but I dought it'll see a lot of track time. Changing the car to more of a cruiser anyway.

View attachment 1715314662
Hi there,
How have you found the Schumacher headers on your 470? Have you ran it at the track at all? Any regrets regarding the headers?
Thanks,
Glen

I've run it a few times and surprised to find it was quicker through the full 3" exhaust than using the electric cutouts. I guess the smaller diameter primaries need a little back pressure. 6.80s vs. 6.90's.
Only regret is when I bought them chrome was all they had on the shelf. I was impatient and didn't want to wait three weeks for the ceramic coated ones.
Mostly aesthetics. The ceramics might run a little cooler.

I thought O'Reilly's was a parts store? Had to order top radiator hose and a radiator cap!!!!!!!
Really? This sucks for a town 105000+ population and have to order a radiator cap.
So much for a Friday night test run.

View attachment 1715315323
They are indeed, but in the San Antonio area where we are; they cater more to the GM crowd. Not a great stock of Mopar parts.

I've run it a few times and surprised to find it was quicker through the full 3" exhaust than using the electric cutouts. I guess the smaller diameter primaries need a little back pressure. 6.80s vs. 6.90's.
Only regret is when I bought them chrome was all they had on the shelf. I was impatient and didn't want to wait three weeks for the ceramic coated ones.
Mostly aesthetics. The ceramics might run a little cooler.
I have a 400 based 512 with Trick Flow heads, a hydraulic roller cam with 254 duration @.050 with 618 lift and a port matched Edelbrock TM6 intake. I plan on running the Schumacher headers with modified 3 inch collectors in my '68 Barracuda fastback. What cam and heads are you running?

Thanks,
Glen

Sounds like you've built one stout engine!
I'm pretty sure the Schumacher's are gonna hinder the engine's performance. The headers are easy to install and have spacious working around them. However, not very good for anything above 200cc flow.
My set up is mundane compared to yours.
Hyd flat, 250@0.050", 110 Sep, 545" lift.
Edelbrock RPM (mild porting)10.8 comp.
Coan 3800 rpm stall, 4:10 locker and 325-50 MT drag radicals.

Sounds like you've built one stout engine!
I'm pretty sure the Schumacher's are gonna hinder the engine's performance. The headers are easy to install and have spacious working around them. However, not very good for anything above 200cc flow.
My set up is mundane compared to yours.
Hyd flat, 250@0.050", 110 Sep, 545" lift.
Edelbrock RPM (mild porting)10.8 comp.
Coan 3800 rpm stall, 4:10 locker and 325-50 MT drag radicals.
Right on. My duration is similar to yours, but I'm running 1.6 rockers and better flowing heads. I'll see how the Schumacher's are. If I feel they're choking the mill up too much, I'll look into bigger headers.
Thanks, man.

-
Back