Installed distributor - Now it makes a bad noise

-

perko

Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for some help from you guys. I installed a new distributor in my 73 duster 318. I'm getting spark now which was the original problem, but it still won't start.

The sketchiest thing is that it periodically makes a grinding/screeching noise when i'm turning it over. Whatever is happening physically stops the motor turning over. I can't tell where the noise is coming from but is pretty loud. After the noise/rotation stop the motor will turn over normally. There does not seem to be any pattern for when this happens. I'm scared to actually get it fired up.

The distributor looks like its fully seated and the hold down is tight. Could the distributor shaft be binding somehow? Kinda sounds like the starter is wigging out but the problem only manifested when I put the new distributor in.

First thing Id do is yank it back out and crank it on the starter, see if you can duplicate the problem. Also spin the thing in your hands, is it "tight?"

Check for the loose starter anyway, easy check.

If the starter is OK, then if it has an automatic transmission, check to see if one or more of the torque converter bolts have come loose. If this happens, the bolt head(s) can contact the webbing at the back of the block & it makes a very unpleasant sound.

Well I took the distributor out and cranked it over a bunch. No more noise. I put the distributor back in and still no noise? I think it was just in there a little wonky. Now to time the engine.

ok, well the problem is back... This ones really got me confused. For some reason the noise only manifests when the cap is on. I might just be getting unlucky but we've been at this for about 10 minutes and I can't get it to happen when the cap is off. There is no sign of damage to the cap or the rotor. When I do get the noise its loud and screachy kind of like grinding gears and sometimes we get a puff of what i assume is fuel out of the carb. WTF? I'm at a loss here.

Could you just have the timing way too far advanced? Did you replace plug wires or cap and have them in the wrong order or 180* off?

Pulled #1 and went through the routine?
Compression,0 degrees and lined up rotor to #1 plug tower?
I recall
Something about oil pump drive not right and it will cause issues...

Hello Perko.
Is this happening with the engine not running?
Is this happening during cranking?
Is this happening with it running?
In reading your post i assume it is happening only wile not running / just cranking?
If so try this.
With the engine off and key on / cranking
and everything hooked up (cap on) and if you disconnect the two wire connector off the distributor,
pick up.jpg

Does it still happen ?
With everything connected if you remove the coil wire,
Does it happen?
Let us know.
happy Mopar :)
Arron

Last edited:
The engine is not running, this is happening during cranking when i'm trying to get it started and time the engine.

Its just a simple distributor replacement. The timing is definitely off, but I don't see how that could make this sound. It really loud and alarming. It sounds like grinding gears. I'll go mess with the distributor wire and coil wire and see if it changes anything.

unplugging the distributor from the electronic ignition seems to make the sound go away, but its super intermittent. The whole car shakes when it happens. Could this be a result of horrendous timing?

Hello Perko.
Test like this.
Everything hooked up.
Disconnect the two wire connector at the distributor.
Crank the engine does it happen?
Reconnect the two wire connector.
Disconnect the coil wire at the distributor and GROUND it.
Crank the engine does it happen?
Let us know results.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron

well, with the coil wire grounded, the problem seems to go away. Super intermittent problem though, so its hard to convince myself i'm not just getting lucky.

Hello Perko.
I am thinking the pickup in the new distributor is bad.
This would cause all sorts of timing issues.
If you have no mechanical noise grinding, banging, crunching, with the electronics disconnected in guessing that is all ok.
Did you check the air gap in the pick up coil ? should look the same as the old distributor?
Is it sitting in the same location as the old distributor?
If so can you swap the old pick up for the new one and see if it corrects the problem?
Is there 8 points in the center reluctor?
Does the gear on the shaft look like the other distributor?
You can also compare to this.

If needed can you reinstall the old distributor to confirm?
let us know.
Arron

yeah, it basically looks the same. I'm pretty sure the pickup in the old distributor is what was wrong with that one so i don't think swapping it over would help. its dark now so I really don't want to change the distributor again anyway. I've already done it a few times today.

I'm wondering where the noise is coming from. If combustion happened too early in the up stroke of the piston would that be enough to stop the engine rotation and make a gnarly sound?

Hello Perko.
Anything is possible but not being there its hard to say.
Can you take a video clip of it and post it so we have a better idea of what going on?
You stated the old distributor had issues (I'm pretty sure the pickup in the old distributor).
Did the motor run correctly with that one before you changed it?
I would try to get a pick up and try that if your sure the distributor is in correctly.
Let us know.
Arron

yeah it was running ok before. I'll try to get a video later. its kind of hard to reproduce the noise. Maybe I'm just a dumbass and i did something wrong with the distributor install. I'll look at it with fresh eyes. Thanks for the help.

Hello Perko.
Any update on the condition / Problem.
Were you able to resolve the problem?
Is so please share the fix with your fellow FABO members so that in the future it may help others.
Thanks,
Arron

he unplugged the ignition and its still happening in post #10.....WTF> did I read that right? If it was 180 out and the motor was bucking against a loose starter, I can imagine a grinding noise, but it also happened with the ignition unplugged? Id check tightness of starter then.

PS>>>I guess I did read that wrong......no noise after ignition unplugged so I still think its bucking against the starter

Last edited:
he unplugged the ignition and its still happening in post #10.....WTF> did I read that right? If it was 180 out and the motor was bucking against a loose starter, I can imagine a grinding noise, but it also happened with the ignition unplugged? Id check tightness of starter then.

Hello all
Post 17 told that it was ok before the distributor replacement.
Im guessing (not there so don't know) that the starter, Flex plate, Converter, and or flywheel (standard trans) is ok.
Im curious as to what was the problem / fix.
Hope he lets us know.
happy Mopar :)
Thanks
Arron

Take it or leave it but this is what it sounds like is going on.

The ignition is early enough to kick back on the starter and make grinding noises.
Maybe not so much grinding as we would normally think grinding is, but enough to spin that starter gear enough to be described as grinding.

It was said that it puffed "smoke out the carb" so that tells us it's firing but too soon.
It was also said that it didn't do this before the distributor, AND that it doesn't make noises with the ignition disconnected.
If it were mine and doing that AND I was positive about the firing order I would turn that distributor about an inch clockwise and see what it does.

BTW, the base timing can be set with a timing light when only cranking it.:D

If this didn't happen with the old distributor and that was the only thing changed everything points toward too far advanced timing or wrong firing order.

Take it or leave it but this is what it sounds like is going on.

The ignition is early enough to kick back on the starter and make grinding noises.
Maybe not so much grinding as we would normally think grinding is, but enough to spin that starter gear enough to be described as grinding.

It was said that it puffed "smoke out the carb" so that tells us it's firing but too soon.
It was also said that it didn't do this before the distributor, AND that it doesn't make noises with the ignition disconnected.
If it were mine and doing that AND I was positive about the firing order I would turn that distributor about an inch clockwise and see what it does.

BTW, the base timing can be set with a timing light when only cranking it.:D

If this didn't happen with the old distributor and that was the only thing changed everything points toward too far advanced timing or wrong firing order.
Hello All,
OR a defective pick up, advance plate in the incorrect position, incorrect gear on the shaft just to name a few.
Not being there AND stating it ran before they changed the dizzy how could be sure that is the starter ???
AS stated Not being there WE have no real answers.
Oh here is a idea.
Send him a starter on your nickle !
Arron

Last edited:
Hello All,
OR a defective pick up, advance plate in the incorrect position, incorrect gear on the shaft just to name a few.
Not being there AND stating it ran before they changed the dizzy how could be sure that is the starter ???
AS stated Not being there WE have no real answers.
Oh here is a idea.
Send him a starter on your nickle !
Arron

Since the problem may very well be the motor kicking back on the engaged starter from the timing or firing order because that is all that's been messed with since it ran last I doubt he needs a starter at this point.
How about we just keep it simple until otherwise required?
Or if you feel it's necessary to complicate things right out of the gate with every possible scenario, feel free.:D

The sketchiest thing is that it periodically makes a grinding/screeching noise when i'm turning it over. Whatever is happening physically stops the motor turning over. I can't tell where the noise is coming from but is pretty loud. After the noise/rotation stop the motor will turn over normally. There does not seem to be any pattern for when this happens. I'm scared to actually get it fired up.

Hey sorry for not keeping up on this post. I got really sick. Anyway. I got a video of whats happening. just to catch everyone up...

What i have done
- Installed new distributor (I think the pickup on the old one was bad but the whole thing was rusty and gross)
- Confirmed TDC using a chopstick through the spark plug hole (thats all i got right now) and turning it over by hand. Yes it is on the compression stroke.
- Made sure that the distributor is in about 8 degrees before TDC.
- Wires are in the correct order/location on the cap.

Symptoms
- bucking/grinding when it seems like it should be firing. It sounds like the starter fighting the flywheel to me.
- this problem only happens when I'm sending spark to the plugs. If I ground out the ignition coil or otherwise disable the ignition it turns over just fine.

VIDEO:

Thanks. This is driving me bonkers. I'm worried I've done something colossally stupid and havent't noticed.

-
Back