Installing green bearing axles?

-

The Toad

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a complete Moser 8 3/4 rear end houseing and axles for my 64 Barracuda. The axles have green bearings.

How much do I tighten the axle retaining bolts?

I tightened the bolts to the point that they hold the axle in but the lock washers are not compressed. The lock washers do not compress until I tighten the retaining bolts to the point that the axle retaining bracket bends and touches the axle housing. I am afraid of over tightenting the bolts and damaging the bearings.

Any advice?

Thanks

..............U need to take out the trust buttons or spacer, depending on which sure grip u have.........did u tap the axles in with a rubber/dead blow hammer?...kim......

oldkimmer- I am using a Detroit Track-Lock. There are no thrust buttons.

8barrel- You are right, I could wait until Monday to call Moser. I just hate to loose a full day in the garage to wait and call them.

Better to lose a day than possibly damage somethin. If it was mine, I would wait to call. What you have now can be returned if it is wrong. If you beat it all to snot, or tighten piss outta it and bend it all to hell, they probably won't take it back. Moser is a great company to work with, but they ain't stupid. you spent a lot of money with them. They'll work with you to get it right.

-
Back