Installing Water Pump

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I finally decided to replace my leaky water pump on my Dart. I went ahead and ordered new hoses, themostat, and fan clutch to replace at the same time. I assume that installing the water pump with the supplied gasket should not be an issue. However, I do have one question. Should I use any kind of gasket maker or sealer on the bolt threads/holes for the water pump bolts (also the power steering pump and alternator bolts)? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

the 4 long bolts that go thru the timing case and the lower 2 into the timing case should have pipe thread sealant (not rtv). As mopar head mentioned you can use a piece of wire to probe any of the holes including mounting bolts. If they go thru - seal them.

I finally decided to replace my leaky water pump on my Dart. I went ahead and ordered new hoses, themostat, and fan clutch to replace at the same time. I assume that installing the water pump with the supplied gasket should not be an issue. However, I do have one question. Should I use any kind of gasket maker or sealer on the bolt threads/holes for the water pump bolts (also the power steering pump and alternator bolts)? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Permatex water pump gasket sealer works good too.

If you have compressed air, you can blow in the holes and tell which ones go to water. You better use some sort of sealer or you may be chasing water leaks,. I just went thru this. I used RTV.

use Permatex #2 (I think that's what it's called). It's the dark brown/ black colored tarry-like stuff, that's alcohol soluble. The key is that it doesn't harden, so when you have to loosen bolts to adjust belt tension, it will reseal by itself.

-
Back