Intake "as cast" port size

-

Fast01

Reaction score
Ok, in an earlier post I stated that I have some Chapman Stage VI heads that have a port size somewhere between a standard port and a max wedge. They measure 2.430" x 1.280". I was crying earlier about modifying intake gaskets when in fact there is no manifold that won't require work to match. Anyway, does anyone know the as cast dimensions of the Indy tunnel ram? I did some searching and it seems their state of "finish" leaves much to be desired and that they are smaller than a max wedge port, but larger than standard. This might just work for me. I was going to try the Edelbrock Pro-Flow XT manifold, as I'm going fuel injected, but Edelbrock is closed for the holiday, so I can't inquire with them if there's enough meat to open that one up. Thanks and Happy New Year!

No to the max wedge port size on the Pro-Flow XT. Here is the intake with scribes around the standard port 2.225" X 1.200" and Max Wedge of 2.630" X 1.380". Max Wedge height and width would completely remove the roof and the outside port wall.

Edelbrock 001.jpg
Edelbrock 002.jpg

can the intake tolerate a step up into the head ports? An "anti revision step"? (coined in a header ad I saw to downplay their terrible port shape)

No to the max wedge port size on the Pro-Flow XT. Here is the intake with scribes around the standard port 2.225" X 1.200" and Max Wedge of 2.630" X 1.380". Max Wedge height and width would completely remove the roof and the outside port wall.

View attachment 1715125302 View attachment 1715125303
That Sir, is extremely helpful and I thank you for it! I'm not at max wedge port size and won't be going there, but I am a good bit bigger than standard. From the looks of it, the XT shouldn't/can't really go too much more than standard. It looks like even at the 2.430" x 1.280" I'm at will pretty much eliminate the roof.....outside port wall might be ok, but a moot point! Looks like that choice is out. Any idea as to the as cast size of the Indy stuff? Thanks again!

pishta, I guess the intake port being smaller than the head port is better than the other way around, but I'm sure it's less than optimal. Not really where I want to be. At this point I'm having thoughts of filling the roof of a max wedge manifold with epoxy to match what I've got. Any insight on that IQ52?

I just finished up some dyno testing where I used a standard port intake on the Trick Flow 270 heads. (which are Max Wedge size).

The standard port intake (which was ported) worked better with the 270 heads than an out of box Indy MW intake. So the ported small port intake was better than the unported Max Wedge intake. That tells me that a good small port intake is better than a so so big port intake.

I also tested with a ported MW intake and it was the best of the best but it wasn't all that much better than the really good small port intake.

I just finished up some dyno testing where I used a standard port intake on the Trick Flow 270 heads. (which are Max Wedge size).

The standard port intake (which was ported) worked better with the 270 heads than an out of box Indy MW intake. So the ported small port intake was better than the unported Max Wedge intake. That tells me that a good small port intake is better than a so so big port intake.

I also tested with a ported MW intake and it was the best of the best but it wasn't all that much better than the really good small port intake.
I just filled a small amount of the port roofs on a manifold I`m playing with, (moroso 2 part epoxy). It was previously ported a little bigger than my cnc standard port heads. Now if I can get no. 7 runner up a little more-------------------

Thank you for that real world experience Andy, that's valuable info and food for thought! Now considering that the only manifold I have is an old Weiand tunnel ram for the "B" block and the the stage VI's use an "RB" manifold on the "B" block, would it be advisable to make up a tapered spacer to use the Hi-Ram and match it to the head port or would that kill port velocity? I do own a mill, so that wouldn't be an issue or should I start from scratch with a new manifold? Basically, no matter what I do, it will require some work, so I'm just trying to find something that will require the least amount if work and perform the best. Thanks for everyone's insight!

That Sir, is extremely helpful and I thank you for it! I'm not at max wedge port size and won't be going there, but I am a good bit bigger than standard. From the looks of it, the XT shouldn't/can't really go too much more than standard. It looks like even at the 2.430" x 1.280" I'm at will pretty much eliminate the roof.....outside port wall might be ok, but a moot point! Looks like that choice is out. Any idea as to the as cast size of the Indy stuff? Thanks again!

pishta, I guess the intake port being smaller than the head port is better than the other way around, but I'm sure it's less than optimal. Not really where I want to be. At this point I'm having thoughts of filling the roof of a max wedge manifold with epoxy to match what I've got. Any insight on that IQ52?
Well...........I epoxied a Max Wedge Indy 3X single plane back to a smaller size to fit some really well ported factory 906 iron heads. The pump gas 500" wedge made 730 HP on Comp Cams dyno, after a hurried repair because the operator blew up the engine by not turning the water on before running the engine.

I cannot say what all Indy intake ports come as cast. Here is an Indy single plane for a 383/400 engine. The scribe line is the Max Wedge 2.630" X 1.380" size and the as cast port is 2.400" X 1.250".

Edelbrock.jpg

Last edited:
Well...........I epoxied a Max Wedge Indy 3X single plane back to a smaller size to fit some really well ported factory 906 iron heads. The pump gas 500" wedge made 730 HP on Comp Cams dyno, after a hurried repair because the operator blew up the engine by not turning the water on before running the engine.

I cannot say what all Indy intake ports come as cast. Here is an Indy single plane for a 383/400 engine. The scribe line is the Max Wedge 2.630" X 1.380" size and the as cast port is 2.400" X 1.250".

View attachment 1715125419
If the ports are around thecas cast example you provided, that would work out perfectly. Thank you for your time and effort!

I stumbled upon this thread in my search for an intake manifold.
I'm looking for a dual plane manifold for a low deck "b" block to use with some 270 Trick Flow's. Does anyone make a dual plane that has a max wedge port size or has enough meat to port match fairly close? I know indy makes a nice looking dual plane but it's for a RB block.
Is there a dual plane manifold you would recommend to use with the Trick Flow 270's?

Last edited:
In case anyone cares, I started this thread about the Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT manifold and my wacky Chapman Stage VI's. Well, turns out the manifold CAN be opened up to the head. It may require some slight elongation of the bolt holes to slide the manifold up a little, but Mike at B3 Racing has 'em all lined up and what would this post be without pics......

Also, it seems Edelbrock sees no market for this manifold for Chryslers anymore, so they will be discontinuing it. Yup, I got the last one.

20180720_173321_resized.jpg

20180720_182046_resized.jpg

20180723_160739_resized.jpg

Also, it seems Edelbrock sees no market for this manifold for Chryslers anymore, so they will be discontinuing it. Yup, I got the last one.
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I had a question about what you stated about Edelbrock discontinuing the 7144 XT intake. I need a bare aluminum one, I have a black one on my 500" in my boat, in order to send to Wilson for porting and opening up to 105mm throttlebody. So I placed an order through Jegs in May of 2022, but still have yet to received it. I was marking it up to supply chain issues, until I found your thread. I asked Jegs about it so they contacted Edelbrock, who claims that it has not been discontinued, but I am beginning to question if that is true and they only wanted my money to make a little interest until I cancel the order. Thoughts anyone?

You shouldn’t be charged any money until the order is completed on there end.

FYI, Edelbrock just did a production run of their Pro Flo XT intake 7144, in which I was able to score one.

moroso epoxy made for that , done it a couple times ...

View attachment 1715125302

View attachment 1715125303
I don’t know if u know this but: an aluminum head max wedge port is what u have. A cast iron max wedge port is larger than an aluminum mwp. Check out the Mr.Gasket 302 gaskets and a Hughes or Eddy etc gasket and see the difference. Kim

-
Back