Intake choice for a 408 Magnum.

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a magnum based 408 in my dart. I'm hoping to start installing my Holley Sniper EFI pretty soon. It's an 11:1 compression engine with some edelbrock magnum aluminum heads. The cam is a Hughes engines .571/.576 lift and 234/238 @.050.
It's a street/strip car, never gets used for daily driving.

I'm currently using a street demon carb bolted to an Edlebrock airgap intake. I also have a Magnum M1 single plane on the shelf.

What do you guys think the best intake choice would be? I will probably try them both eventually but I have to remove the intake to drill/tap a hole anyways.

I have a moderately modified 340 (+/- 375 HP), and I really like my Air Gap. In your case, I think it mostly matters on what your plans are. A good dual plane like the Air gap will give decent low end torque and decent higher RPM HP. Whereas a good single plane will be better at higher RPMs and you might lose some lower RPM grunt.

RPM, done.

The M1 is better suited for 3500+ rpm power band.

EFI will probably not like the dual plane intake.

I have read several things about the EFI not working too well with a dual plane. That said, there are a bunch of people using dual planes and EFI and loving it.

intake-340Mopar-871-FP-3.jpg

I have a moderately modified 340 (+/- 375 HP), and I really like my Air Gap. In your case, I think it mostly matters on what your plans are. A good dual plane like the Air gap will give decent low end torque and decent higher RPM HP. Whereas a good single plane will be better at higher RPMs and you might lose some lower RPM grunt.
I am going to quote myself here. After reading the Op's thread a little more carefully, I am going to go with the Airgap. It's an awesome manifold, and if he wanted more HP in a higher RMP band, a manifold swap isn't that much trouble.

-
Back