Intake covered in oil.

-

Gilby340

Reaction score
The intake on my 340 is covered in oil and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Someone told me that oil can come out of the intake bolts. Is that posible? I would have thought I could see where its coming from because it's all over the hood and air cleaner, but no such luck. It's got an edelbrock tm5 intake that was on it when I bought the car. Could it be a bad cast? If anybody's got any ideas I'd really appreciate it. :(

Could be intake gaskets. Or blow by out of the breathers or dip stick tube.

Check your oil sending unit on the back of the block.The oil line for my gauge cracked last week and it was shooting oil up against the hood.

those are the most likely reasons, i would think oil sending unit first and then blow buy if its all over the hood must have some pressure on it.

fire it up and run it to temp if its blowing oil up on to the hood you should be able to see it. you might ahve to run it up to 2500 rpm but that much presure you think you would see where its coming from. Do you have a breather cap?? also check your PCV may be bad causing back pressure.

chad72duster said:
fire it up and run it to temp if its blowing oil up on to the hood you should be able to see it. you might ahve to run it up to 2500 rpm but that much presure you think you would see where its coming from. Do you have a breather cap?? also check your PCV may be bad causing back pressure.

I ran it up to at least 4 grand and didn't see any leaks. it does have a breather cap but its on the opposite side of the engine that most of the oil is on. I cleaned most of the oil off and took it down the road and looked under the hood and it was covered in oil again. :scratch:

Take a few pics of it so we can see whats happening. Is there any oil on the front of the engine? Did you just cruise down the road or open it up?

do you have a pvc valve on one side and a breather on the other.? or is one side sealed? both sides should breath or it would push up oil under a load. prob on the non breathing side.

onehellofadart said:
do you have a pvc valve on one side and a breather on the other.? or is one side sealed? both sides should breath or it would push up oil under a load. prob on the non breathing side.

The pcv is on one side and the breather is on the other. The oil is mainly on the pcv side in front, the pcv is in back. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow it's raining right now.

HawaiiDuster said:
Take a few pics of it so we can see whats happening. Is there any oil on the front of the engine? Did you just cruise down the road or open it up?

Opened it up, and most of the oils in front.

It really is starting to sound like you're not getting enough ventilation. Check your PCV valve and also make sure your breather isn't saturated with oil. Also check around your damper and see if oil is coming out from around the seal. I'm also guessing that the PCV is on the drivers side. Do you have power steering? I know this may sound stupid but is it motor oil? I just had to ask because sometimes we start jumping to conclusions and it turns out we're going down the wrong road. If your fan has oil on it and you have an auto trans you might want to check the fittings into the radiator. Just trying to knock out any other variables that it might be.

Here is my guess if it is towards the front of the motor and the breathers/pcv are dry. Front intake seal is leaking in the corner where it meets the side intake gasket, air is coming from under the car or being blown back from the fan which is causing it to get on the hood. Look down the edge of the timing cover, is there any residual oil there or along the block where the head and block meet? Buy some engine degreaser and clean it up first, shouldnt be that hard to find.

-
Back