Intake filler/ thermostat housing combo

-

zakimodo

Reaction score
Hi All

Here is my situation. I am running a generic AFCO radiator in my Duster. When I installed it, I installed it a little lower than it probably should have been. As such, I have always questioned weather or not I was getting all of the air purged out of the cooling system (I have not had overheating issues). I looked into moving it up, but its design is preventing that. I know one of these intake filler necks would address my concerns.

Question is, If I add one, I would effectively be running two radiator caps. To keep them from fighting each other I thought I would need to move my standard 16 lb cap to the intake and get a higher rate cap for the radiator. Is this the right thinking or am I totally over looking something simple.
55553010.jpg

Jack the front of the car way up when bleeding the cooling system! I always had to do that on my old BMW’s to bleed them, they have some goofy useless plastic bleed screw.

Jack the front of the car way up when bleeding the cooling system! I always had to do that on my old BMW’s to bleed them, they have some goofy useless plastic bleed screw.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

The cap is just a safety valve for pressure - whichever is rated lower pops first. Unless you find one specifically rated temp and pressure, like a boiler safety relief valve, you're overthinking it. Drill an 1/8" hole in the thermostat for bleeding air, works great and helps draining too.

The cap is just a safety valve for pressure - whichever is rated lower pops first. Unless you find one specifically rated temp and pressure, like a boiler safety relief valve, you're overthinking it. Drill an 1/8" hole in the thermostat for bleeding air, works great and helps draining too.

Simple as that ^^^^^
I have never had to prop up the front end of one my cars ever.
The hole in the thermostat and a recovery system.
A drive or two later and ZERO air in it.

You are overthinking it. In bygone days the top of the rad was the expansion tank and there was usually a good inch of air in there. If your engine doesn't have a cooling problem, then forget about it.
If you suspect air in the top hose just push the hose down from the intake end, and it will pop into the top of the rad, no big deal.

Simple as that ^^^^^
I have never had to prop up the front end of one my cars ever.
The hole in the thermostat and a recovery system.
A drive or two later and ZERO air in it.

Bingo.:thumbsup:
Dont look for a problem where there isnt one.

IMG_20180508_151119435_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I did some more checking and found that my overflow tank (some aftermarket plastic tank) was not allowing coolant to flow from it to the radiator. I purchased a little better quality overflow tank and installed it this weekend. Things look much better now, the static level in the radiator is now staying much more consistent (and higher).

Im using an F body (volare/aspen) overflow in the demon.(prev post pic) Fits nice, mounted easily, does the job while still appearing stock.

just a side note, a lot of newer cars have two "radiator caps" now. the one on the rad isn't have a safety valve.

-
Back