Intake gasket

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a steel shim intake gasket available for the 340?

A 360 set should be the same animal. Check the lesser known brands like McCord.

You might want to stick with a fiber gasket...

Read this from another discussion asking why the Chrysler Parts book list two different part number for 340 4-barrel gaskets and 340 6-pack gaskets: TA Intake Manifold 340-6

Posted by Mopar Mitch

Aluminum notoriously has flatness and porosity problems... fiber-faced always is the better choice to give allowance for flatness and seal porosity issues.

ALSO... most people are unaware of the core-shift in the ports of the six-pack manifolds. An embossed steel gasket may, depending on the core shift of the ports -- as cast and finished from the factory -- allow the raised embossing to fall inside an intake port, in particular at the valley area, but anywhere possible... and then have sealing vacuum problems at that area. I've witnessed this problem on several six-pack manifolds ... especially the factory original manifolds... but same can be present on the MOPAR-Edelbrock aftermarket castings.

So... best to use the fiber-faced gaskets... (example being the Fel-Pro MS 90109 gaskets (fiber faced... but with embossing)... or better yet... their PERFORMANCE RACE gaskets (and trim open the center exhaust cross-over ports if you desire).

I'm a former Fel-Pro engineer from their aftermarket division... I know the history very specifically on this subject.

Not only is Mitch a former Fel-Pro engineer, he owns a 340-6 six pack challenger clone he's raced since the mid 70's I believe. One of the most knowledgeable people you'll find on this subject.

Looking for a friend, his intake will be a tight fit, but I think that a shim intake gasket will get by. Otherwise he will have to cut the intake. I had the same issue with my stock 318 build, I found a set of 273/318 shim intakes and didn't have to cut the intake.
We will get them! Thank all of you for help!

Looking for a friend, his intake will be a tight fit, but I think that a shim intake gasket will get by. Otherwise he will have to cut the intake. I had the same issue with my stock 318 build, I found a set of 273/318 shim intakes and didn't have to cut the intake.
We will get them! Thank all of you for help!

Are the intake bolt holes to the heads not lining up?

Or are the ports not lined up?

I'm the friend CRUZE 418 is asking for. The intake holes align perfectly as it sits. .031 Superformance is the thinnest I have found. Would like to clean up intake surface but ever so slightly cause it needs it. Alternatives are .060 thick.

Those look like 273/318 gaskets. The ports look almost square to me. The 340/360 ports are much taller with a rectangular look to them. Frankly I’ve never used a tin gasket on a 340/360 intake. Kim

Last edited:
Those look like 273/318 gaskets. The ports look almost square to me. The 340/360 ports are much taller with a rectangular look to them. Frankly I’ve never used a tin gasket on a 349/360 intake. Kim
Well I may have just bought some useless gaskets. Isn't the first and won't be the last. Thanks for your observation and response. Jeff

Jeff, I’m just trying to help as I’ve never personally seen a tin 340/360 gasket. There may have been some. I’ve seen guys trying to use the 273/318 gaskets on 340/360s and have vacuum leaks. Kim

Jeff, I’m just trying to help as I’ve never personally seen a tin 340/360 gasket. There may have been some. I’ve seen guys trying to use the 273/318 gaskets on 340/360s and have vacuum leaks. Kim
Thanks again for your input. I'm just in a situation that requires a thin gasket but if I risk a vacuum leak it's worth getting the intake milled. FelPro MS 90109 I'm told is .030-.035 which I think will work (not advertised on Fel Pro website; looked at them before). Have Superformance on order and it's the same. Thing is, I just won't know until I try and cannot get a set of gaskets in my hands.

-
Back