Intake/Head Gasket Question

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The head gaskets have a little tab (picture) that interfere with the cork intake gaskets.
Can i just trim that off or what's the deal?

20160610_084217_zps6rmpaiff (3).jpg

Thanks!
Jeff

Isn't that tab just to hold the paper intake gaskets in place while the glue/sealant dries.. thought those were supposed
to be straightened out after. Also trim those end rail gaskets to match the wall, they'll act like a wick for the 710.

Isn't that tab just to hold the paper intake gaskets in place while the glue/sealant dries.. thought those were supposed
to be straightened out after. Also trim those end rail gaskets to match the wall, they'll act like a wick for the 710.
Trim them how ? Where?

Jeff

And get rid of those cork end gaskets..run a nice fat bead of the "right stuff" on both front and rear block surfaces...

X2. The cork end gasket suck red monkey butt. High quality rtv is so much better.

Ok, I need clarification here.
Is this a red monkey's butt, or the butt of a monkey that is red?
Just need to be clear on this. LOL

I just chop those off with my scraper edge and a light hammer tap (but I cover the open top of the motor with something first)
They are actually made to go into that oblong slot in the cork gasket but it's kind of a PIA and gets in the way of the sealant you replace that cork with.
Making sure you have a nice permanent perfect seal for the life of the install isn't lazy, it's smart.

A bit of sealer right where the head and block come together, then the gaskets, the a nice 3/8 or so bead along the front and rear rails (I stay to the inside edge) especially on the passenger side front where the intake dang near misses the rail.
Set in on dry first and it'll give you an idea of bead thickness you need, as well as let you take a look at that passenger side corner I mentioned.

Ok, I need clarification here.
Is this a red monkey's butt, or the butt of a monkey that is red?
Just need to be clear on this. LOL

I just chop those off with my scraper edge and a light hammer tap (but I cover the open top of the motor with something first)
They are actually made to go into that oblong slot in the cork gasket but it's kind of a PIA and gets in the way of the sealant you replace that cork with.
Making sure you have a nice permanent perfect seal for the life of the install isn't lazy, it's smart.

A bit of sealer right where the head and block come together, then the gaskets, the a nice 3/8 or so bead along the front and rear rails (I stay to the inside edge) especially on the passenger side front where the intake dang near misses the rail.
Set in on dry first and it'll give you an idea of bead thickness you need, as well as let you take a look at that passenger side corner I mentioned.

Good tips...thanks!

Jeff

Lookin' good!

Thank you!
Going back in next weekend. ....

Home ported heads
Stock .020" over bottom end (pistons are about. 085" in the holes)
Hughes Whiplash cam
Iron intake
New Thermoquad
White Performance distributor
Krylon Rebuild. ..lol
Doug's D453 headers. ... (laying on the floor! )
Hughes 2200 - 2400 RPM converter
Yada Yada Yada ......

Should be a great little combination.

Jeff

I use those end tabs on the head gasket to locate the cork end gaskets.

Put the tab from the head gasket through the hole in the end of the cork gaskets to keep the ends located properly. I then use some clear RTV in the corners to fill any gaps.

They will flatten down when you torque the intake and keep the ends of the cork gaskets from squishing out.

Like this:

DSC04870 b.jpg

DSC04870 b2.jpg

DSC04872 b.jpg

DSC04872 b2.jpg

That's how I roll....

Here's some pictures of all the gaskets installed and ready for the intake to drop on. I use Gaskacinch (I call it Gaska-Snot because it's just like boogers...) on all of the flat surfaces of the flat gaskets and cork gaskets, two coats, then stick them on and coat the other side (both sides - two coats). Then run a bead of RTV in the corners where the flat gaskets and the cork gaskets meet. The Gaskacinch helps stick the gaskets in place so they don't move when installing the mating parts...

DSC04875 b.jpg

DSC04877 b.jpg

DSC04879 b.jpg

DSC04881 b.jpg

DSC04883 b.jpg

DSC04884 b.jpg

Thanks for the pictures; I'll be upgrading my intake and carb later this summer and I'll reference it then!

-
Back