Intake Opinions

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
not to far away from assembling my 493 rb. has b1 bs heads. time to look at what intake to use . i have a 4150 950 qft carb. this will be 70% strip use. not worried about hood clearance at all. cheers

Id go T-Ram, big motor with loads of torque and a huge carb? Hood clearance a non issue? Lots of test prove the T-ram isnt the low RPM dog that they used to be known for.

Will it take a standard intake? IF so I'd run a performer rpm or a victor.

not to far away from assembling my 493 rb. has b1 bs heads. time to look at what intake to use . i have a 4150 950 qft carb. this will be 70% strip use. not worried about hood clearance at all. cheers

Best intake these days for a standard port head and a 4150 carb would be the new Trick Flow intake. It looks like the Victor but is a little smoother and the ports are nicer.

It might help to know what rpm range you plan on running this 493.

thanks for the replies. laptop been in shop for new hard drive.
Best intake these days for a standard port head and a 4150 carb would be the new Trick Flow intake. It looks like the Victor but is a little smoother and the ports are nicer.
thanks Andy. i was looking at the victor 440. didn't consider the tf intake. both are in my rpm range.

I think you'll like the TF intake if you buy it. I've used a few of them now and they are very nice. The casting quality is better than Edelbrock. Not sure how TF is doing it but they must have improved the casting process a little bit somehow. Good luck whatever you decide to go with.

I think you'll like the TF intake if you buy it. I've used a few of them now and they are very nice. The casting quality is better than Edelbrock. Not sure how TF is doing it but they must have improved the casting process a little bit somehow. Good luck whatever you decide to go with.
cheers Andy, i will look at the tf as a option.

cheers Andy, i will look at the tf as a option.
man u missed a deal, there was one on fbbo for a $250 shipped , I almost bought it. It had dyno time only on it. I run a filter at all times, and already have 6 pack scoop clearance problems.

Has anybody done testing for a low deck intake for a 4500 carb? I know there’s not much to choose from but I was wondering what would work best for say 7000 rpm range? Would a spacer/ adapter with the TF 4150 work well?

I have only used one, the 4500 single plane made by Indy, 2" SuperSucker spacer and a 1140 cfm Dominator. With that combination on a 451 stroker it made 500+ lb-ft from 3,500-7,400 rpm w/ 604 lb-ft @ 6,100 rpm and 787 hp @ 7,200 rpm. Yes, on pump 91 octane.

Has anybody done testing for a low deck intake for a 4500 carb? I know there’s not much to choose from but I was wondering what would work best for say 7000 rpm range? Would a spacer/ adapter with the TF 4150 work well?

I've done a lot of dyno testing with low deck 4500 intakes. Most of what I've tested has been posted on here so just dig around a little and you'll find it. The Indy intake works for MW heads, the M1 4500 is a good intake for standard port heads.
DSC_9538 (Large).JPG

I have only used one, the 4500 single plane made by Indy, 2" SuperSucker spacer and a 1140 cfm Dominator. With that combination on a 451 stroker it made 500+ lb-ft from 3,500-7,400 rpm w/ 604 lb-ft @ 6,100 rpm and 787 hp @ 7,200 rpm. Yes, on pump 91 octane.
Now that’s what I like to hear!
Thanks Jim.
I’m always impressed with your builds.

I've done a lot of dyno testing with low deck 4500 intakes. Most of what I've tested has been posted on here so just dig around a little and you'll find it. The Indy intake works for MW heads, the M1 4500 is a good intake for standard port heads.
View attachment 1715168263
I’ve looked around for an M1 for a low deck and have never been able to find a listing for a 4500 flange. Did they make a low deck 4500?

I found the Mopar M1 with 4500 flange for low deck B engines listed as P4529723 in the 2002 Mopar catalog. I never saw one personally. I just remembered it being listed at some point.
IMG_20180423_205038.jpg

Id go T-Ram, big motor with loads of torque and a huge carb? Hood clearance a non issue? Lots of test prove the T-ram isnt the low RPM dog that they used to be known for.
Spot on ! A 493 needs big heads ,big camshaft, ..That requires big gears ,a tight 3000 plus stall converter, then those long runner lengths , start to viberate VELOCITY.
Just ,personal knowledge....

I’ve looked around for an M1 for a low deck and have never been able to find a listing for a 4500 flange. Did they make a low deck 4500?

Didn't you look at the picture I posted? Of course they made one. How else did I get one to put on my engine?

Didn't you look at the picture I posted? Of course they made one. How else did I get one to put on my engine?
Yeah I did. The one with the spacer on it? Wasn’t sure if it was an adapter. Would you happen to have a P/N for that manifold.
**Never mind, another member posted it.

I have one collecting dust if you need it. M1 low deck 4500. Id be willing to trade for a indy or victor rb 4500

-
Back