Intake Suggestion?

-

71Demon340

Banned
Reaction score
In the market for a new intake. Please give your suggestion & let me know if anyone has one for sell. Car is primarily street driven, but will definately see some track time. Set-up is as follows:

416 stroker, approx 10.5:1
Ported J-heads 2.02/1.60, valve job
Holley 750 DP
240/246 @ .050, .507/.510 lift, 110 LSA
727 w/rev manual
3200 stall
3.55 gears, 26" tall tires
MSD ignition

Thanks

What intake are you running now?

you cannot go wrong with a victor intake. your comp ratio will help take up the slack from the lack of bottom end and then you'll have plenty available on the top end. questionable hood clearance is always an issue.....

Sounds close to my motor and I am very happy with my Air Gap. I must admit I haven't had time to try anything else but I think this is the best intake for all around use.

I'd call that a mistake, but what ever floats your boat.

Honestly, I only see 2 choices here and that would be a RPM or a M-1 single.

Other dual plane may apply, but it is the same idea as a RPM and which one squeeks out 5 hp can scream winner. (LOL 5 HP, big whooop! But everybody makes a big deal about the most minor things.)

to add to his question cause i dont know. Would a LD340 be any good for this setup? I have a stroker to and am planning on using a LD340. Will it perform well?

Other dual plane may apply, but it is the same idea as a RPM and which one squeeks out 5 hp can scream winner. (LOL 5 HP, big whooop! But everybody makes a big deal about the most minor things.)

Running an Eddy Tarantula right now, TM5 I think.

Is there a difference between a RPM and RPM performer or are they same? Will M1 fit under factory dual scoop Dart/Demon hood?

Probably a dumb question, but whats the effects of dual vs single plane?

Thanks

Running an Eddy Tarantula right now, TM5 I think.
OK, an ol'schooler intake.

Is there a difference between a RPM and RPM performer or are they same?
The difference between the RPM and the RPM air Gap can be seen pictured if you go to Summit racing.com. Click below to see the intakes.

RPM Air-Gap http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7576/
Performer RPM http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7176/

(This is splitting hairs, but it must be made clear since people have come back and complained about wrong info given and they become upset cause there fingers got worn out from clicking a mouse to investigate what these things look like and there correct names of the parts they are purchasing.)

The is no such intake called the "RPM Performer."
There is an intake called the Performer and it is a idle to 5500 rpm intake. It is a stock replacement intake with or with out a EGR valve on the side.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2176/

Will M1 fit under factory dual scoop Dart/Demon hood
?
IDK for sure, check other threads witha few key search words and/or wait for the been there and done that. My guess is no. But for a single plane intake, it is very good. It's not a screaming hi RPM intake. But it'll go 7000.

Your stroker will work OK with a single plane just because of the sheer size of the engine and realitivley med. to high rpm band your in.

Prob
ably a dumb question, but whats the effects of dual vs single plane?

Thanks

The single plane has a lack of torque on the lower RPM band and is OK for use with High stall converters, loose gears and light weight cars. If you drive the street , the dual plane is what you want. The RPM intakes will out power any single plane on a street bound car due to the low end torque being greater. (AKA, Get going quicker.) In the mid range to the top of the RPM band, there about equal, though, build dependent, and for the most part, the RPM is a shade better. Nothing to sqwauk about.

If you use a single plane, your best bet is to use it as intended, in a race car like fashion. Along with a high stall converter to launch the car past the dead spot the single plane has (Low RPM) and right into it's peak torque power output. This of course works in concert with loose gears. Example; 4.56's, 4.88's and up. And a lightened car to get going quicker and easier.

So, single plane intakes are best suited for hi rpm drag racing and constant hi rpm driving, like circle track and long runs.
On and off the gas pedal might like a dual, again, build track dependent.

Thanks for all the good info. One more question though, the RPM that you are referring to above - would that be the regular RPM or the air-gap or are they basically the same except for the supposed cooler charge on the air-gap?

I'm not gonna answer a one single more question to you since your answer is in my post above which you didn't bother to click on or clicked on and didn't bother to look close enuff / read or further investigate for your own knowledge.

Since you are this lazy, my absoulte and final answer to you and anymore questions is;

Get and read a book.

Good day to you sir.

to add to his question cause i dont know. Would a LD340 be any good for this setup? I have a stroker to and am planning on using a LD340. Will it perform well?

It will perform well, but;

You'll give a few HP with a LD340. It lacks a few things the modern intakes have. The runners are not swept and some turn abruptly. It is also not as tall. The extra height is helpful in atomizing the air and fuel charge.

The air gap is also a slight advantage over the LD340 or RPM with the gap. It's helpful, but small potato's in the big picture. Worth having, sure, worth paying for over a regular RPM... not really. If your concerned over maxing out your combo, then get it.

The old Mopar books showed a "Cheat trick" on that LD340 intake.
Pictured below is a standard LD340 intake with the notch divider.
Below that is a LD340 with the T-Q carb mod and milled divider mod down to , Umm, I think it was 3/8th inch. (Sorry, it's been about 18 - 19 years since I did it.) Also, theres a T-Q gasket on it. That may throw your peception off.

Use this MOD with acre since you not only can't put the metal back, but as per Mopar, it should be used with a good .550+ lift cam.
(AKA Large!)

100_0538.jpg

100_0537.jpg

It will perform well, but;

You'll give a few HP with a LD340. It lacks a few things the modern intakes have. The runners are not swept and some turn abruptly. It is also not as tall. The extra height is helpful in atomizing the air and fuel charge.

The air gap is also a slight advantage over the LD340 or RPM with the gap. It's helpful, but small potato's in the big picture. Worth having, sure, worth paying for over a regular RPM... not really. If your concerned over maxing out your combo, then get it.

The old Mopar books showed a "Cheat trick" on that LD340 intake.
Pictured below is a standard LD340 intake with the notch divider.
Below that is a LD340 with the T-Q carb mod and milled divider mod down to , Umm, I think it was 3/8th inch. (Sorry, it's been about 18 - 19 years since I did it.) Also, theres a T-Q gasket on it. That may throw your peception off.

Use this MOD with acre since you not only can't put the metal back, but as per Mopar, it should be used with a good .550+ lift cam.
(AKA Large!)

thanks. that helps!

Let me add that with 240 @ .050 and a dual plane is not the way to go on a port limited stroker. It's all about the combo and with a cam that big you shouldn't be worrying about streetability anyway and be thinking of where your torque peak will be, what converter and gear and tire height you'll be running. Anything else is just a band-aid and a mismatch. Run a Victor or a smaller cam.

For your application get the Air Gap..if you were going for more track time i'd suggest the Victor 340...which i'll be trying next season,as for the Air Gap performing..it put my 416 in the 11'0s consistently..and my 360 in the 11.70's..:cheers::cheers:

It was my understanding that a Dual Plane was the best of both worlds...

And the guy did say in his original post that the car is "primarily street driven"...

It was my understanding that a Dual Plane was the best of both worlds...

And the guy did say in his original post that the car is "primarily street driven"...

I'd say yes to that "Best of bothworlds" quote for most street engines. The RPM is very good at brifgeing or wipeing out the bridge on certain builds.

I do beileve he said street driven. That's why I said what I did.
3.55's and a 26 inch tire sound like street equipment to me.

I also think ramcharger is right with going with a smaller cam. I myself would knock 6*'s off to start. But now I'm pipe dreaming a perfect build for me.

I'm not gonna answer a one single more question to you since your answer is in my post above which you didn't bother to click on or clicked on and didn't bother to look close enuff / read or further investigate for your own knowledge.

Since you are this lazy, my absoulte and final answer to you and anymore questions is;

Get and read a book.

Good day to you sir.

Well excuse the hell out of me. I'll have you know I did read your entire post and the links. Please forgive me if I overlooked something. Both RPM's have same operating range and are 1000 rpm higher than standard performer so.......

And as far as being lazy, you don't know sh*t about me. I rebuilt the whole damn car from the ground up after being pummeled by a hurricane. And I do try to research before "bothering" people with useless questions.

From your post above "The air gap is also a slight advantage over the LD340 or RPM with the gap." :?: So which is it.

Thanks for all the input. I will probably go with the RPM or air-gap.

Just to clarify one thing "primarily street driven" doesn't mean "putting around town". It will definately see some street action. I know, it is still two totally different ballgames.

From your post above "The air gap is also a slight advantage over the LD340 or RPM with the gap." So which is it.

In order, IMO, LD340, Regular RPM, Air-Gap.

-
Back