Intank pump and need for return line

-

ed1946

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked up a walbro pump that is rated for 45 psi. I'm running a holley carb and have a regulator before carb, do you think I need to have a return line?

At 45 psi? I'd say Yes. Your carb will only need 5-6psi. Is your regulator up to the task? When I ask Aeromotive on running an 60psi with a carb (with plans for EFI later) they stated you need a special or multiple regulator for that much return although I found folks doing it with one, lesser regulator and reporting no issues. Your going to want a 3/8 or 1/2 return.

Last edited:
I kinda figured as much, I've got a good holley regulator. Do these pumps shut down when they get to advertised psi or just keep on pumping.

I kinda figured as much, I've got a good holley regulator. Do these pumps shut down when they get to advertised psi or just keep on pumping.

Return line= ending Vapor lock. No question. Do the return line.....

JW

I would recommend it. Since you will have to change to a return style regulator if you don't have one I also recommend putting the regulator in the return line, so the carburetor is essentially in the center of the loop.

The pumps run continuously, and if used with a deadhead regulator they will heat up significantly, which can shorten the life span of the pump . Most manufacturers want a return style regulator to be used, so the fuel flowing through the fuel pump can cool the pump.

I used a Fuelabs two speed pump with a bypass regulator, and mounted a small switch that triggers the higher pump speed when the secondaries open. The pump is designed to run cool and continuously at the low speed and flow a much higher volume at the higher speed. It is a 45psi pump.

Last edited:
I’m running a Walbro GSL392 in my pile with a 3/8 supply and return through a Mallory 4300. The pump runs constantly and has been going strong for 5 years, definitely do the return line.

-
Back