Intellitronix A-body Dash Install Thread

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought the 1970-1976 Digital dash kit as a Black Friday deal.

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/1970-1976-dodge-duster-dart-led-digital-dp6013

I will post my progress on this thread. I have installed the sensors and assembled the dash but I have not pulled my dash yet. Here are the progress pics.
Parts in kit and my extra dash
IMG_2222.JPG

Prepping my cluster, Still have to remove the lens
IMG_2224 (1).JPG

Wires clearly labelled on the circuit board
IMG_2226 (1).JPG
IMG_2227 (1).JPG

More to come.

Assembly of the dash panel and wiring.
The instructions are not exactly clear and the pictures are small but it is doable
IMG_2228.JPG

Then inserted into the cluster
IMG_2229 (1).JPG

I need to touch up the "chrome" and the black before install.

The sensor installation is simple. The electrical speedometer sensor replaces the speedometer cable. For most people it goes directly into the transmission speedometer cable hole. I have a gear vendors OD so it goes on the end of the extension cable by simply screwing it is. The regular speedometer cable is not used.

IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2244 (1).JPG

The water temp and oil pressure sensors are specific for this gauge setup. Simple installs here.
IMG_2236 (1).JPG
IMG_2245 (1).JPG

IMG_2237 (1).JPG
IMG_2246 (2).JPG

The hardest part is going to be all the wiring. With the FSM I have the wires going into the dashed labelled.
IMG-2247.jpg

I just need to locate a 12v power from the fuse panel that is on in accessory position. The fuel gauge says that it needs a ground wire going from the sender in the tank run all the way to the dash "to be sure it has sufficient ground. I have a new sender and I ran a ground wire when I installed it so I will skip that and see if I am ok. I don't want to pull carpet or trim If I don't have to. I also need to locate the parking light circuit. I have to tap into that for the dimmer work properly. It cannot use the light switch dimmer. Instead it dims when the parking lights go on. Wish me luck on the install.

I ordered mine and I am watching your progress, so maybe I will have less of a chance of FN it up on my install. I see yours in a big block, mine is a small block car..

Where did you get the water neck with the temp sensor in it?

The hardest part is going to be all the wiring. With the FSM I have the wires going into the dashed labelled.
View attachment 1715835535

I just need to locate a 12v power from the fuse panel that is on in accessory position. The fuel gauge says that it needs a ground wire going from the sender in the tank run all the way to the dash "to be sure it has sufficient ground. I have a new sender and I ran a ground wire when I installed it so I will skip that and see if I am ok. I don't want to pull carpet or trim If I don't have to. I also need to locate the parking light circuit. I have to tap into that for the dimmer work properly. It cannot use the light switch dimmer. Instead it dims when the parking lights go on. Wish me luck on the install.

Why do you need "accessory" as opposed to "ignition?" There is already a switched ignition source that went to the original cluster connector.

The park/ tail should be same circuit on your car.........easily tapped either at light switch or the left kick panel connector where the rear harness ties in.

"Dimmer?" So applying park power causes the cluster to dim? Is this adjustable, or is it a bright/ dim 2 choice setting?

I'm putting one of their six-way generic gauges in my power wagon project right now. I will be ordering one for my duster as well. I just called the other day and asked about that dimmer switch and not hooking it to the reluctor... It was a simple question with a simple answer but they answer the phone right away...
I think it's kind of cool having a 60 ft recall and a quarter mile recall...
That and being able to set the speedo to whatever gearing you have and being able to reset it if you change gearing...

Why do you need "accessory" as opposed to "ignition?" There is already a switched ignition source that went to the original cluster connector.

The park/ tail should be same circuit on your car.........easily tapped either at light switch or the left kick panel connector where the rear harness ties in.

"Dimmer?" So applying park power causes the cluster to dim? Is this adjustable, or is it a bright/ dim 2 choice setting?
The dimmer only works at 50% power when it gets power so when you turn your lights on it dims at 50%, there's not a gradual availability... That's why the instructions say not to run it through the reluctor but to the park lights..

I would assume you'd want to be able to turn on your gauges when you turn it backwards on to accessory and not have power going to the ignition...

Do you get molex connectors for all those wires? Looks like the 1 switched 12 volt will be feeding several things, less a IVR? Don't get the 2 dark blues mixed up! Notice all the sender wires are 20 gauge. Double check your labelling.

Do you get molex connectors for all those wires? Looks like the 1 switched 12 volt will be feeding several things, less a IVR? Don't get the 2 dark blues mixed up! Notice all the sender wires are 20 gauge. Double check your labelling.

Funny you ask about the Molex. I was just going to ask what the name of the pin connectors is so I could get some instead of cutting all of them.

I will check and double check all wiring. The wire recommendations are to use 18 gauge. The water temp appears to be 18 but the speedo is smaller.

What is an IVR?

Funny you ask about the Molex. I was just going to ask what the name of the pin connectors is so I could get some instead of cutting all of them.

I will check and double check all wiring. The wire recommendations are to use 18 gauge. The water temp appears to be 18 but the speedo is smaller.

What is an IVR?
I was referring to the OEM sender wiring and diagram you pictured. Instrument Voltage Regulator and brake warning lamp were supplied by the dark blue switched 12 volt via the OEM circuit board. Aftermarket gauges may not require IVR. I don't know.

I think simplest place to pick up the park lamp circuit is headlight switch.

Bummer. I had to order molex connectors on amazon and they will not arrive until Thursday. I could not find them at HD, lowes, Ace, Oreilly, AZ so I ordered 20 for $5.00. Patience is a virtue. And I want it now.

Bummer. I had to order molex connectors on amazon and they will not arrive until Thursday. I could not find them at HD, lowes, Ace, Oreilly, AZ so I ordered 20 for $5.00. Patience is a virtue. And I want it now.

what should we order to avoid a delay?

-
Back