INTELLITRONIX DASH IS IN (Pics added)

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the way my dash looked and worked. I had to many gauges hanging off the dash bottom as well as installed in the empty spaces on my dash. My cluster was a disaster with none of the gauges working, the speedometer did not work and only one signal light would flash. This fall Intellitronix had a $100 off sale on their new A-body digital dash so I took the plunge and bought one. I finally got around to installing it during the last week. I also decided to do the MADD ammeter bypass at the same time. The first thing I will say is they did not have a Demon with a 340 6-71 combo in mind when they designed this piece. I had to raise the blower to install a couple of parts. So to start with it wasn't to bad to assemble the dash although the instructions were a little vague when it comes to what you have to take apart on the old dash cluster. I will just say you have to take it completely apart and it can never be used as a stock dash again. Everything went together fairly easily.

DASH001.jpg

DASH002.jpg

The first problem I found was the mounting screw holes no longer work as the backing plate that the screws use when they are recessed is no longer there. I cured that by epoxying the holes over from the back and drilling new holes. Not a big deal but something that should be included in the instructions.

DASH004.jpg

The next problem was the water temp sensor. They didn't design it for somebody having a Roots style blower. I had to take the blower off and cut the water fitting down to get it to work. I don't think this would be a problem for somebody with a normally aspirated engine.

DASH006.jpg

The wiring is a big job as you have to remove all of your old gauges and wiring. It took a while, (2 days), and you end up with a real rats nest of wires coming out of the firewall into the dash area. I did clean this mess up. lol

DASH008.jpg

DASH009.jpg

This is when I ran into a real problem. The new dash did not work to well. The only lights that worked were the signal light and hazard light indicators. I checked all my wiring and compared it to the instructions and no matter what I tried there was no joy in Mudville. I called Intellitronix and left a message. They got back to me about 45 minutes later and I talked to Duane for a few minutes and we were able to figure out I had the wrong instructions. He emailed me the correct ones and I was back at it. It took me about 15 minutes to straighten things out and I was doing my happy dance. There are still a few things to calibrate and the volt meter is only showing a little over 11 volts so maybe I still have something to figure out with the Madd bypass but it does seem to be working.

DASH011.jpg

You may have noticed a Hurst Quarterstick in one of the photos. I am installing that as well. I ran into a problem there as well but I think I have it figured out. Their shifting arm on the tranny is jamming a little and it won't go into park but I know how to fix that.

Overall I would say that the Intellitronix piece is pretty good. Just a few little problems in my particular application.

Jack

Last edited:
Temp sender---you can get ready made spacers with horizontal tappins for nipples or senders

Well done. Thank you for taking the time to explain your experience. Dash looks good. Are you able to change the colour within the displays?

looks like your getting things done up early jack the dash looks great .I can't wait to cruse with you .

Yes, I figured I would get it road worthy early this year seeing as I am going to build a new garage this spring and summer. Only have about one more day of real work on it and it will be ready. That is amazing seeing as we still have snow on the ground here.

Jack

Which Dakota Digital model of gauges did you buy, I bought the RTX for my charger.
How soon are you going to install your gauges?

I’ll start a new thread on my DD rather than hi-jack this thread.

This is my next project. My 73 Dart is red, so I like going red, but in the cluster it seems a bit much and considering white also. How do you like the red?

Actually the red is not bad at all. I think that the way they have it set up any colour would be good. Good and bright and when you turn the lights on it is not to bright for night driving.

Jack

-
Back