Interesting air filter tests

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Here is a pretty cool video I found testing air filters I was pretty surprised at the results.

I ran a reuseable K&N on my Jeep. Lots of miles in slow dusty conditions. Always found a layer of silt in the TB. Went to paper and the silt went away.

Here is a pretty cool video I found testing air filters I was pretty surprised at the results.

Wow, My head is scrambling.That guy packs a lot of info into a short video. Good information though. Thanks for the link

Wow, My head is scrambling.That guy packs a lot of info into a short video. Good information though. Thanks for the link
Yea I he talks way to fast I kinda wish he wouldnt read the boxes and all that and just slow down during the tests. I got confused in the particle testing part and had to watch that part like 5 times to catch on haha I really like that guys videos be he does pack alot of content into a short amount of time.

Like that guy , kind of shows , u cant have ur cake and eat it too !
Yep Bob I agree either you can get performance or filtration. I cant believe how bad the k&n did in the particle testing. That honestly makes me very hesitant to ever use one. I always run a mopar filter I'd like to see he run a test using them. On my mountaineer I run motorcraft air and oil filters
Speaking of which I think it's time to change both in the mountaineer

I have been a Wix fan for years. (or NAPA Gold, same thing) I was not surprised to see them and Purolator rated high. I used to sell Fram at the parts store (no other choice) I do my best not to use their products if I can help it. I even switched my John Deere rider to Wix. I found a longer filter with a fluted can that is a common number. O reillys carries it and it's half the price of the JD one.

I do not care. I still will use K and N, I mean how clean does the air going in an engine really have to be? IMO this test is not real life testing....

Bad science, BS experiment and false conclusions.

Linear velocity of particles, tortuosity of flow, surface area of the media (pleat count is irrelevant), and particle density were totally ignored. Aerodynamic behavior of particles suspended in air is very different than dumping them on the filter surface.

The only part they got right was the air velocity and pressure drop across the filter media.

You can completely ignore the acceleration test since they didn’t mention resetting the computer system to base line before and after each test. The system adaptive controls adjust the system for current conditions and therefore during the next test when the conditions change, the system hasn’t been allowed to adapt to it. An increase in air flow will cause a leaning out of the A/F ratio giving a false performance increase that disappears after the adaptive parameter adjustment catches up.

Either reset the system to baseline or drive for 30 minutes using a variable acceleration protocol after each filter change to allow the system to adapt.

Air filter?

What is that?

I save money by not using an air filter. I just replace my engine every few years.

On a serious note you can add R to any wix part number and that gets you the race filter of that size. They dont filter for **** but they flow air.

We have done a few high power sand buggies/rails and they all run K&N with a foam element over them and a nylon over that.

We always find sand in the engines.....

In a street car the amount of dust and dirt is very low.

Linear velocity of particles, tortuosity of flow, surface area of the media (pleat count is irrelevant), and particle density were totally ignored. Aerodynamic behavior of particles suspended in air is very different than dumping them on the filter surface.

The only part they got right was the air velocity and pressure drop across the filter media.

You can completely ignore the acceleration test since they didn’t mention resetting the computer system to base line before and after each test. The system adaptive controls adjust the system for current conditions and therefore during the next test when the conditions change, the system hasn’t been allowed to adapt to it. An increase in air flow will cause a leaning out of the A/F ratio giving a false performance increase that disappears after the adaptive parameter adjustment catches up.

Either reset the system to baseline or drive for 30 minutes using a variable acceleration protocol after each filter change to allow the system to adapt.
Thanks Dave. I had hoped you would stop by for a chat.

I have been a Wix fan for years. (or NAPA Gold, same thing) I was not surprised to see them and Purolator rated high

I’ve been hearing nothing but great things about all of Wix filters. I heard about them on a GM specific board, then heard numerous praise and technical data from a Ford/Mercury/ Lincoln forums site. The common thread is that Wix seems to be a strong filter performer in all categories (especially, their oil filters).

I agree it's not completely accurate but it gives a good premise of what your getting. I think regardless of how its applied the partical tests gives a pretty good idea of the filtration properties of each filter. Granted noone is gonna pour flour in their airbox. Lol

Buddy never ran a filter on his 71 351C mustang. Never had a prob with that motor except bent pushrods. Nothing but city driving. We were young....and another 351C short block as $100 at our yard that had the motors already pulled on giant racks. Back in '85 they weren't rare and even the heads could be gotten off any 400M Motor.

I have been a Wix fan for years. (or NAPA Gold, same thing) I was not surprised to see them and Purolator rated high. I used to sell Fram at the parts store (no other choice) I do my best not to use their products if I can help it. I even switched my John Deere rider to Wix. I found a longer filter with a fluted can that is a common number. O reillys carries it and it's half the price of the JD one.

Speaking of j.deere oil filters, I bought 2 last week, clown charged me $9 something apiece for them. The last time I bought one ''last year'' it was $6 .
Going to cross refererence next , time Screw $9 for a little bitty filter !

Air filter?

What is that?

I save money by not using an air filter. I just replace my engine every few years.

On a serious note you can add R to any wix part number and that gets you the race filter of that size. They dont filter for **** but they flow air.

We have done a few high power sand buggies/rails and they all run K&N with a foam element over them and a nylon over that.

We always find sand in the engines.....

In a street car the amount of dust and dirt is very low.

Interesting; I rode a 500 quadzilla and 250 quadracers out in the desert for 4 yrs., running K-N air filters, no foam over them, the secret to them is ''almost dripping'' w/ oil/trans fluid .' Never found sand in the intake or engine , the highly modifyed air box always had sand in them ---------

I agree it's not completely accurate but it gives a good premise of what your getting. I think regardless of how its applied the partical tests gives a pretty good idea of the filtration properties of each filter. Granted noone is gonna pour flour in their airbox. Lol

I knew someone would bad mouth him, I enjoy his videos , and agree w/ a lot of his stuff, some of it is quite surprising .
Some of his oil tests are quite surprising and a pretty good assesment of the oils.
I `d like to see him do a 12 volt elec fan test , I think a lot of their flow ratings are b.s. , '' not that I depend on one"

Speaking of j.deere oil filters, I bought 2 last week, clown charged me $9 something apiece for them. The last time I bought one ''last year'' it was $6 .
Going to cross refererence next , time Screw $9 for a little bitty filter !
I have a v twin Kawasaki. It calls for a 57035 but I bought a 51348 which is the longer filter with the flutes on the end of the can. 33011 is the fuel filter number.

dont watch !
I have a v twin Kawasaki. It calls for a 57035 but I bought a 51348 which is the longer filter with the flutes on the end of the can. 33011 is the fuel filter number.
Hey Mike , I have a clutch set up w/ the clutch tool left over from a kfx 700 if u can use it >gas , money and shipping from 74021.---------Bob

dont watch !

Hey Mike , I have a clutch set up w/ the clutch tool left over from a kfx 700 if u can use it >gas , money and shipping from 74021.---------Bob
Oops The Kawasaki is in my Deere ryder.

I knew someone would bad mouth him, I enjoy his videos , and agree w/ a lot of his stuff, some of it is quite surprising .
Some of his oil tests are quite surprising and a pretty good assesment of the oils.
I `d like to see him do a 12 volt elec fan test , I think a lot of their flow ratings are b.s. , '' not that I depend on one"
I love his videos bob me and my boy always watch them together. My oldest son is at that age where we bond thru tv and video games. He is huge into YouTube and wants to start his on YouTube channel making video game reviews. I'm gonna buy him the equipment to start recording for his birthday. He will be 14 next month.

-
Back