Interesting find this weekend.

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to approach this subject lightly because I don't really want to offend anyone but I figured it would be a good subject.

I have been searching for a really nice driver Mopar lately. I was contacted by someone who had a car on my "list" of cars I would like to have. The photos looked pretty good so I decided to take a day trip. This was about 4.5 hours one way for me.

Within about 30 seconds of viewing the car I asked the seller if it had a driver frame rail recently installed.... he paused and said yes I put one in. I said the apron too? Yes.

I went to the back of the car and said so this car had a back panel installed right? Yes. And a passenger quarter panel? Yes. Then I said and this car was hit right? Like in an accident? Ummm... Yes.

So then I moved back to the engine bay and said who made the fender tag? Pause... Galen... I said do you have a build sheet to verify this? No.

So I did check the vin on the dash, that did match the radiator support. I didn't check close enough to see if this support was changed over with the rail and apron.... and I didn't check the vin in the trunk area.... but for some reason I just had a pretty strong suspicion that this car was potentially vin swapped.

I was pretty bummed when I left that I wasted so much time on a car that was just hacked together. Plug welds were not even complete. You could see this in all the areas that were worked on. Now I do body work and paint work for a living so I do know what I'm looking for. I feel like the average Joe might get taken because of some shiny paint and fluff....

One of the topics I'm really most concerned about is how unsafe this car really would be in a Collison and how the average Joe really shouldn't be doing this type of work on a car.... but they get away with it or just don't even know how bad of work they really are doing.

My other concern is this person appeared to really be a Mopar guy... but the entire process seemed really deceptive and unlike what I feel most Mopar folks are like.

What are your thoughts?

Well, I hope it ain't a Member Here, cause I Do Not wanna offend anyone. That said, that's some crooked ****, .dotcom, half *** structural repairs? Im a Remodeling Carpenter, with Alot of Experience in Heavy Framing ( removing Concrete beams, poured solid, with 5 pieces of rebar, adding LVLs, jacking up 2 stories to replace bearing Walls, ect) I've had Licensed General Contractors try to tell me how to do my job, cutting BAD CORNERS, in their own homes! Ends up in a pissing match... if they won't listen, I'm out!!
Now that said, I have a buddy w/ a TA took 3 cars to make it. Same guy has a 71 Hemi Cuda convertible, started life as a one of 11 or 12 Gran coupe verts, /6.... also has a bag of tags and a stack of titles. They are insured for the Big Bucks. All I can Say, is my Bud that does his work. Is Superbad, and a Mopar Man too. Sorry for the rant, it sucks you wasted your time.amd money, on a crook that's no better than a cheap crack house flipper

Last edited:
What are your thoughts?
Doesn`t sound like he squirmed away from answering honestly, but if he disclosed all this up front I`m sure you probably wouldn't have made that long voyage. I`d be pissed.
Little Bro went on a 15hr one way trip to Mich. to go buy a Goat, sent me pics, car looked beautiful. Upon inspection he said the quarters wasn`t even welded to the inner parts. I would be livid on a trip that long:mad:

Doesn`t sound like he squirmed away from answering honestly, but if he disclosed all this up front I`m sure you probably wouldn't have made that long voyage. I`d be pissed.
Little Bro went on a 15hr one way trip to Mich. to go buy a Goat, sent me pics, car looked beautiful. Upon inspection he said the quarters wasn`t even welded to the inner parts. I would be livid on a trip that long:mad:

I think that is exactly my point. Maybe it wasn't disclosed because they honestly think it was done correctly and have no clue how poor of a job was done on the car. Then asking a full blown restored price on top of that.

I think that is exactly my point. Maybe it wasn't disclosed because they honestly think it was done correctly and have no clue how poor of a job was done on the car. Then asking a full blown restored price on top of that.
Chances are that's what the seller paid for it too

-
Back