Interesting idea for recovering residual oil

-

Joeychgo

FABO Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting idea for recovering residual oil. Should be easy to construct with basic PVC

JUN_2003_012_T_01.jpg

I wonder how many bottles you would need to drain to break even?

I remember back when every service station did something like that for oil changes.
Cans and punch nozzles.

Yeah, and I was the guy who's car burned so much oil that I'd pour the mixture straight into my car every time I got a chance.

I remember back when every service station did something like that for oil changes.
Cans and punch nozzles.
I worked at a Phillips station as a second job when I left home as a kid. The owner had a metal drain deal for that reason. He used the saved oil for his own cars. And no, mixing the oils did not hurt his cars !

First HD shop I worked in used retail quarts instead of bulk. I was the only tech saving oil like that. When they saw how much, they switched to bulk.

You always need some oil for the lawn mower. Better for the landfill to drain it all out too. Thanks for the tip!

I do this at home but just one at a time into a jug... looks like I will be going to the hardware store now. I use the mixed oil around the shop for milling/drilling or whatever. I was surprised how much I was throwing away before.

I work at a bulk petroleum storage plant and stuff like this is a requirement now. We have a machine that crushes used oil filters and recovers the oil. You would be surprised how much oil it keeps from going in the landfill.

That's very cool, but I would make one change. Instead of the 45* elbows, just leave it straight. The angle of the bottles with the 45s will leave a little oil in the bottles.

Cool setup. Incredible what residuals can amount to.
I was watering my little vegetable garden with my garden hose and light bulb finally went off. Now I collect water from a/c's condensation tube.

Cool setup. Incredible what residuals can amount to.
I was watering my little vegetable garden with my garden hose and light bulb finally went off. Now I collect water from a/c's condensation tube.

I never would have thought it would add up, but it sure does!

-
Back