Interesting service manual step

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
So I was reading the '62 Dodge service manual on front suspension and ran across this step:

"2) Remove wheel and tire as an assembly"

Uuuuuh, so the tech writers thought I might remove the tire from the wheel while on the car? Riiiight....:thumleft:

OK, a another old, true story

Years ago, a friend, a pretty much "Chevy guy" phoned me one afternoon. He always had a "selection" of junkers at his farm. What I'd give fer' 'im now!!

"I got a darn front wheel, can NOT get the lugs loose. Can I come out and borrow your impact?"

"Sure."

Now he's "a ways" out of town. I'd guess this was about a 20 mile round trip. He comes out, removes an ASSEMBLY from his trunk.............a front drum and hub, with a front wheel and tire still attached.

I look at it on the ground. "Mopar?"

"Howdja know?"

"WHICH SIDE?"

The dumb look-on-the-face as the light slowly dawned was priceless!!!!

Years ago, a friend, a pretty much "Chevy guy" phoned me one afternoon. He always had a "selection" of junkers at his farm. What I'd give fer' 'im now!!

"I got a darn front wheel, can NOT get the lugs loose. Can I come out and borrow your impact?"

"Sure."

Now he's "a ways" out of town. I'd guess this was about a 20 mile round trip. He comes out, removes an ASSEMBLY from his trunk.............a front drum and hub, with a front wheel and tire still attached.

I look at it on the ground. "Mopar?" ."Howdja know?"

"WHICH SIDE?"

That's funny I had the same thing happen to me when I worked at the dealership... A guy brought his Dart wheel in the same way and said he couldn't get the lugs off...I said see the L on the end of the lug...Guess what that means...LMAO...Bill

You cant make this stuff up...Indeed it is priceless and good for a laugh for many years...Bill

"Sure."

I look at it on the ground. "Mopar?"

"Howdja know?"

"WHICH SIDE?"

LOL I hope you gave him a beer as payment for your still getting mileage out of that eposide !! Thank goodness my dad taught me that special Mopar secret early on......

In 1962 if the tech writer was an "older" man in his 50s or 60s then he would have remembered the old days when tires were removable on the car. My grandpa used to tell me how juvenile delinquent boys would steal the rubber tires from seemingly abandoned cars in them days by slightly tipping the car to get the tire off the ground while another boy would get the tire off the wheel.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CL5ms21pI"]Pikes Peak Model A Club: Changing a Tire - YouTube[/ame]

So I was reading the '62 Dodge service manual on front suspension and ran across this step:

"2) Remove wheel and tire as an assembly"

Uuuuuh, so the tech writers thought I might remove the tire from the wheel while on the car? Riiiight....:thumleft:

Is it a factory manual? If so,might be written for flat rate dealership repairs. (Just a thought). Drum brakes were in prevalence then.

They probably figured people mix up the terms wheel and tire so they just wrote take them off together.

the truck could of had a split rim wheel and a front tire could be changed with out removing the rim , pry off the snap ring add a little air until it pushes off the tire ,deflate tube pull tube out ,pry tire off ,reverse to install , things you figure out when someone looses the lug wrench.

All very interesting ideas....this is a factory repro manual for the '62 cars, BTW. Probably just a carry-over from something else (since so much back then was cut-and-paste lay-ups of pictures and typed text) , but I found it rather droll.....
Regards, Mark B.

Are you sure it said "that" or did it say "remove the wheel and tire assembly"

That is what it says at one point in both the 60 Chrysler, and the 73 service manuals

28iatxj.jpg

fonfra.jpg

I had a GM service manual one time that said to "fix it quietly."

I can't remember what I was looking up, but whatever "it" was didn't like a lot of noise, I guess.

-
Back