Interesting video on torch flashback and prevention

-
Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna get my torch outfitted with flashback arrestors TODAY!!

Great videos.

I put arrestors on my torches quite a few years ago, probably when I became aware of their existence.

We never had anything like that in my high school welding shop, and when I purchased my (still have them!) torches in 1972, the subject never came up, so I assume they weren't around then either.

I went to a vocational high school and part of the machine tools program included a short welding course, just enough to get you going. My welding shop teacher died over Christmas vacation and the guy they brought in to replace him died in a motorcycle accident (ran over while sitting at a light). I've always thought of taking a class in MIG (didn't have it back then) but given the track record, I haven't wanted to take the chance of going 3 for 3.

I've never understood, that if arresters are so important, why they are (were) not included. My first torch I acquired in the mid 70's was marketed by Forney and used re-labled Victor components. Sometime in the 80's I scored a new-unopened Victor kit. Neither had included arresters. I had bought them separate at some point. I had FORGOTTEN how important they could be re: these videos. I had forgotten the explosion could travel clear down the hoses / regulators and into a tank.

I've never understood, that if arresters are so important, why they are (were) not included. My first torch I acquired in the mid 70's was marketed by Forney and used re-labled Victor components. Sometime in the 80's I scored a new-unopened Victor kit. Neither had included arresters. I had bought them separate at some point. I had FORGOTTEN how important they could be re: these videos. I had forgotten the explosion could travel clear down the hoses / regulators and into a tank.
I don't know when the arrestors became available. As I said, we never covered it, but we did have a lot of safety drilled into our heads. One was just opening the acetylene tank 1/4 turn and that being the first place to reach if something bad happened.

I think there has been some safety features built into the tanks (as was talked about in the video) and that was the end all. Of course, as time goes on, and more people with less training use welders, and get hurt, safety features get to be stressed more. I mean, look at the one guy in the video with a hard hat on... and the other guy doesn't have one on. Obviously they aren't in a spot where they are required... So one guy is on safety overkill.

Safety is always important and no one can dispute that. No one wore hearing protection years ago for example. The flame arrestors might not have been common place. My Airco torches were pretty high end when I bought them but they never had flame arrestors either.

Probably have to look at new torch sets to see if it's part of the package. They might be an upsell for the welding stores too!

-
Back