Interior Light Time Delay

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How could I add an interior light time delay like new cars have?
Where the interior lights stay on for several seconds and then dim and fade to off...or if the engine is started, they just go off.
I'd also like to add a halo light or something around the key hole.

This is for a 68 Barracuda. ..the keyhole is on the dash and a real PITA in the dark!

Jeff

your 68 could have gotten a lighting group addition with delay timer and lighted ignition switch bezel. The lamps would stay on for a time or go off when ignition switch turned to on position. The light didn't drift to on/off like the modern electronics.
I think the OEM wiring and parts would be the proper way to add the feature but be forewarned... that delay timer is known to fail, holding the lights on, killing the battery.

The factory set-up is comprised of a small round delay can and a light bulb fixture attached to the back of the ignition switch. It is activated by the dome lite circuit. I think all it takes to install is to locate these two pieces and plug them into your existing loom. Easy peasy.

The time delay relays mentioned above were used for many years. I grabbed a few at pick& pull and was going to do it to mine, but I haven’t got a round tuit yet.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can build your own based on a 555 timer IC. The parts won't total more than 10 bucks. There are plans and schematics online as well.

For what you are wanting the factory A01 option will not make you happy. It only addressed the ignition switch lamp.

Look forward to seeing the aftermarket full car solution. Likely not for me but cool none the less!

There are a few modern features I like as long as they can't be seen....I added remote power locks for instance. ....

Jeff

Yeah, love those power locks! I did the same. Since mine is a driver I added an alarm, ignition kill, and a console shifter lock. Bought an electric trunk opener and a cruise control too. I had added a lot of that stuff on my 68 back in the day. Guess I am reliving my youth....

Funny you should bring this up. My wife and I took my Duster out for supper Tuesday night and she mentioned that I need to find a way to get delayed dimming interior lighting. So I’m looking forward to see how this little module works for you.

-
Back