Interior paint names/codes for 1968 A-bodies?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys...quick backstory:

Over each winter, I have put my '68 Valiant parts runner/recycles hauler/anything else into my garage and overhauled something. Last winter it was all mechanical...brakes, fuel tank, shocks, cooling system, etc. This year it is the interior. New floor pans, windshield, glass seals, carpet, upholstery, the works.

This is where I ran into an issue. I can't determine what shade of paint is on the insides, specifically the "upper door frame" color. It is an attractive metallic tan. The upholstery is coded for Sierra Tan, which is actually 2 different shades of gold. The dash is dark brown, and then this color on everything else.

There are charts for this info on various sites, but not for this year, that I can find. I got the idea that this interior shade was simply an exterior color from some year, but I took a guess on that and was wrong. If someone knows what this color is called for sure, or at least has the color chart for the INTERIOR, I would appreciate it.

Here is the color sample. This is the front and rear of the upper B-pillar trim piece. Thanks in advance.

20200120_215401.jpg

20200120_215412.jpg

Upper door frame colors are (in most cases) the same gloss paint used on the outsides of cars.

The upper door frames are often different than the outside car color though, thus the separate UDF code.

Other interior painted parts are lower gloss, called 'suede'.

That includes parts like yours whether for a 4-door or not.

IIRC at least in 67 the FSM has paint codes and sheen for interior

Yes , factory manuals have interior paint codes in the body section. 2nd to last chapter IIRC.

Thank you for the help.

I found this thread from a while back which was also helpful, since the second picture down shows a '67 with the identical interior as mine. The only difference is that the '67 is tan outside, my '68 is Turbine Bronze.

1967 Copper interior parts

The tan interior paint on the '67 Valiant shown and my '68 is some variant of YY1 tan metallic. Evidently there is some disagreement between the Lucite number and the Ditzler numbers because they don't agree. The FSM says the interior code for the tan is Lucite 4805L/Ditzler 22712. 4805L agrees with the YY1 exterior paint for Lucite, but Ditzler 22712 does not agree with Dodge or Plymouth YY1 codes so far as I can tell. I don't know what the hell is going on.

The brown on the dash is flat Chestnut Brown, as widely reported. The paint code information is contained in DODGE service manuals, but not Plymouth. Don't know why. Hope this helps others as well.

Last edited:
-
Back