Intermittent running issue on the Dart

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
the 66 dart has been sitting for a few months. The slant starts up relative easy. Got some new gas. I decided to take it out once a week. Last week driving and the engine felt like it was bogging down and would not let me accelerate past about 35mph. I pulled over, shut it down, restarted and drove off it was fine. This now happened again this week. Same thing, bogging , won't let me fully accel, even if I mash the gas pedal all the way.

Any ideas on why this would happen sometimes and not others? And why restarting the car fixes it??

it is swapped to electronic ignition and has the Super 6 carb.

I had a datsun that used to do that from time to time. I don't know why I thought of this but I carried a bike pump in the trunk that had a nozzle attachment. A couple quick pumps into the carburetor vent hole would always fix it. I never figured out what was happening internally but it was like it somehow was not getting atmospheric pressure into the fuel bowl.

New gas, water in the fuel? This could be many things; check the choke as suggested above. It should be firm, not flopping around, with engine up to temperature.

Sounds fuel related. Pull the filter. Put some white paper towels on the ground and tamp the INLET end of the filter on the towel. You're looking for black rusty sediment. If you get some, put a filter on it. You might also think about dropping the tank and cleaning it out. It's not difficult.

Ok it is a sticking choke flap. Is there something that can lube it? Or do I just shoot carb cleaner all over the place.?

-
Back