Is 240psi cylinder pressure too much?

-

AJ/FormS

68 Formua-S fastback clone 367/A833/GVod/3.55s
Reaction score
South-Central Manitoba,Canada, 900ftelevation
Off brand, but that is what I read on my 2014 Chevy-Orlando.
I purchased this unit for my wife last fall, with about 70,000miles on it; and right from the start I thought it cranked a lil hard for an Ecotec DOHC. Well yesterday I finally got to the compression test.; 240 in all 4holes.This is with the same gauge that reads within a couple of percentage points the predicted pressure of my HO367.
I thought it had a lot of power for a 4-banger....... but credited the 6-speed auto (which,btw is a dream transmission),and the VVT (which comes in at ~4000), but I guess I gave those more credit than was due.
Now, I just have to figure out why the exhaust smells a lil like a a 2-cycle, and the crankcase needs to be topped up rather often.
Guess I'll go get her a bigger battery, just for peace of mind at 35/39 below.

Off brand, but that is what I read on my 2014 Chevy-Orlando.
I purchased this unit for my wife last fall, with about 70,000miles on it; and right from the start I thought it cranked a lil hard for an Ecotec DOHC. Well yesterday I finally got to the compression test.; 240 in all 4holes.This is with the same gauge that reads within a couple of percentage points the predicted pressure of my HO367.
I thought it had a lot of power for a 4-banger....... but credited the 6-speed auto (which,btw is a dream transmission),and the VVT (which comes in at ~4000), but I guess I gave those more credit than was due.
Now, I just have to figure out why the exhaust smells a lil like a a 2-cycle, and the crankcase needs to be topped up rather often.
Guess I'll go get her a bigger battery, just for peace of mind at 35/39 below.
With compression comes power, as long as you can control detonation. VVT, computerized fuel metering and timing make it happen.

Highest I ever got was 230 PSI, on a 13 to 1 413. Not sure why that little 4 cyl would crank so high. I do know 30 below air is a lot more dense. LOL . Check the shop manual for what it shoulf be. Those little 4 cyls can crank out some power, though!

Well I haven't been disappointed yet! More like impressed. Even passing power is impressive. And the 32plus mpgUS,@ 62mph, point to point, is also impressive.
The Orlando is a 5door,7passenger, hi-roof station wagon,based on the Cruze. It is a lil bigger than an old CRV, and quite a bit smaller than a caravan. But honestly the two rearmost seats are for small children and the second row seating only fits two adults at best. We did not buy it for the seat-count tho, cuz there is just the three of us at home including our 68#dog Georgie, who now has plenty of room in the back with all the seats folded down. We take him every where we go, because he is really well behaved, very calm, and just loves to be with us.
No I bought it for the Ecotec VVT, that I had heard so much about. The 6-speed auto was an instant hit. I had wanted an Ecotec for a number of years already so when this combo came up, I just grabbed it.

Chevrolet Orlando - Wikipedia

Last edited:
-
Back